Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Listing Weaknesses 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I am currently interviewing and haven't in over 10 years. They ask me my strengths as well as my weaknesses.
What should I say or not say to this? Is there something safe to say that probably could not be held against me? I'm clueless.
I assume they want industry related weaknesses? Is this a correct assumption?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

You must have alot of time on your hands to come up with so many good ones.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Santa, I really like the idea of looking back on 5 years of achievements, apart from coming across well it would also neatly hide the true answers of "somewhere else" or "doing your job"!

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Forget the cliche' type answers and be yourself. Unless the persons inverviewing you are brand new management types they will have heard them all before (and this will reflect badly upon you as a candidate).

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

SantaMufasa, great answers! I've used a few myself.

The question I think is redic is 'If you were an animal/tree what kind would it be?'

I understand some HR pros think its a great one. No good answer... Lion, I attack work problems (and kill my co-workers); Deer, I'm alert and run with the heard (and get killed by the lions)... Maple; grow fast on the job ( thin bark and full of sweet stuff); Birch, flexible (shallow roots); Oak....

We had a guy tell our interviewer he was a deer because that's what the interviewer wanted but when he started he told me he was a lion... he didn't lie to me either... he really chewed people up, then knawed on their bones.

Someone askes me that question I'll prob answer it nicely then not follow-up.

Q:What are your weaknesses?

A: The usual. Whiskey, women, gambling...

I had one young little snot from personnel ask me for a single phrase that represented the sort of wisdom I'd like to pass along to my children, or that represented my personal morals. My answer: Carpe Diem. The rest of the group broke up laughing. When the questioner admitted she didn't know what it meant, I asked her if she knew what a hedonist was. Nope, clueless.

A week later I learned that the company had withdrawn the position, which didn't surprise me. About three months later, I learned that the company had terminated their little girl personnel director, also no surprise.

I think the best answer I ever heard in response to the 'five year plan' is: Not working for you. A potential employer has no business asking questions like this, as they are far too personal and refer to age.

Five Year Plan= Retired

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

The reference to weaknesses belongs to an antiquated sense of direction in managers, and management. Knowing your weaknesses has been valued as part of the in most cases worthless performance evaluation rituals of corporate idiots.

This worthless type of performance management, or evaluation is a way to keep the worker focusing on their weaknesses, and hinging pay for performance on areas of lack of giftings.

let me give you an example in how the eastern nations have trained their ping pong, or table tennis players. They evaluate the players strengths, and weaknesses to establish, and prioritize the training time. After establishing the players greatest strength they form a regimen to develope that strength to the point of being able to dominate the opponent through this strength alone. The other greater strengths may also be developed as well, but as far as the weaknesses go.

NONE of the developement of skills time is wasted in areas of weakness, as the chances of return on investment are minimal. This approach does evaluate that the weakness is not due to lack of gifting in that area.

Example: We would not want to waste our time trying to teach a 4 foot 2 inch person to slam dunk in basketball practice. Michael Angelo would not focus his time on non-artistic endeavors. Most stereotypical IT guys would not seek a PHD in socail work.

Reality: Investing a large percentage of your time investing in areas which you have no natural ability, or gifting is just plain stupid, therefore focusing on areas of weakness is generally a waste of time, and has no signifigant return on investment.

If focusing on your weaknesses, and improving them made sense, all you IT guys would have went to school for IT because you sucked at technology. On the other hand all the great IT mninds would have a degree in non-techical areas.

The where do I see myself in 5 years kills me too.

Hehe... this (again) reminds me of something funny I saw on Family Guy. Peter is interviewing for a job...

Boss: So, where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Peter: (Glances at family photo with the boss, his hot wife, and about a 10 year old kid.... thinks to himself "Don't say doing your wife! Don't say doing your wife!")
Peter: Ummmm..... doing your........ son?

[rofl]

Sick... but funny.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back