Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows98 startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin72

Programmer
Apr 18, 2000
US
Why does windows stall when starting up. It just sits there with no hard drive activity. I have to wait about 2-3 min. before anything happens. Is there a way to speed this up.

Well, I don't know your system, so if could give some more information, in might be helpful.

I have had this problem before when I had a 3-Com network card (3C-905B or 3C-905C to be specific), when it was not connected to a network. The system hangs for quite a while trying to initialize the network.

If you have a NIC in your system and are NOT connected to a network at this time, go into your device manager and disable the network card.

For a step by step:
Go into control panel and go to system
Choose the Device Manager tab.
Under Network adaptors, double click you network adaptor (not Dial-Up adaptor or AOL adaptor)
Check "Disable in all profiles" ( wording may vary depending on version).
Click Ok

If this is not your case, let me know what is in your system, and I might be able to provide more help.

Jeremy Hannon
Brainbench "Most Valuable Professional" for Computer Technicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back