Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/Windows 98 network 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiceman

Vendor
Apr 17, 2003
US
I went through quite a bit of unexplained hell last night trying to get a LAN up and running, which for testing purposes consisted of only 2 PCs: one on W2K and the other on 98. <br><br>The PCs are connected through a Netgear 16-port 10/100 hub, which has worked fine for everything else i've used it for.<br><br>Regardless of what settings I tried, including using/not using DHCP, client names, et cetera et cetera, the network simply would not function as it should. The W2000 machine was NEVER able to see the 98 machine on the network, and the 98 machine could occasionally see the 2000, but could never connect - giving a network error. Once, the 98 machine did try to connect to Comp1$/IPC$ which I realize is an administrative sharing setting. However, it wanted a password for this connection, which I do not know and have never set, so no progress was made in that direction.<br><br>Any ideas? Yes, both machines are on the same domain. Yes, they both have file and print sharing turned on. No, I don't have a clue what to do now.<br><br>

Is this W2K server or pro? If pro and no other computers besides the 98 machine on the network then you should be using workgroup not domain. <br><br>That being said, have you created any shares on either of the boxes? If not, then that is why you are prompted with the IPC$ share.<br><br>To back up a little and narrow down the problem we should look at whether the problem lies in browsing the network, name resolution, or connectivity. Problems in each of these areas can result from different causes.<br><br>First, if using IP...and I would assume you would be using a static IP address unless you have a DHCP server configured on your network...can the boxes ping each other?<br>If not, check to make sure your IP address' align on the same subnet. For example <br>box1 = 192.168.0.1&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>box2 = 192.168.0.2<br>Both with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0<br><br>If you can ping then the issue is not connectivity. Can you ping the computer name. This will take the form of a broadcast but should return successfully. If so, name resolution is not the problem. To speed up this process you can use the LMHOST file specifying the computer name to IP address mapping.<br><br>Lastly is browsing, which requires that at least one of the computers in your domain or on your workgroup be a master browser...the one who maintains and accepts requests for browsing information from other computers on the network. Problems in this area are seen when going to Network Neighborhood. If the problems appear to be isolated to this area there may be conflicts between the W2K box and the W98 box as to who is the master browser. Check the W2K event log for any events indicating the browser has forced elections. Yo can prevent the 98 box from attempting to be master browser by modifying the properties of&nbsp;&nbsp;File and Printer Sharing.<br><br>There are several pretty good articles from the 9x resource kit that describe other steps to troubleshoot browsing problems. If you don't have access to it let me know and I will either paste it as a FAQ here or I can email it to you.<br><br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks for these suggestions I will try them out as soon as I get back to the machines... what format does name resolution pinging use (ie, \\pc01 or is it some other format)?

For the record I am using workgroups not domains.

Yeah, if you want to ping the computer name you would >>>>

ping computername

You can also resolve the name by >>>>>

ping -a ipaddress

This is the problem I have been able to find in the error logs:

The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

I don't really have any idea what this means. Guidance?

Also, I don't know what resource kit you're talking about. Sorry, new to this site, new to 2000... sigh.

Have you fixed your problem yet?

If not, goto Control Panel, Network on the 98 machine.

Ensure you have File and Printer Sharing enabled.
Goto Properties of file and printer sharing and one of your options is LAN Announce. Setting should be Yes

I am having the same problem, but I cannot click on properties of File and Printer Sharing because you can only do that in Win2000 Server, not Win2000 Pro. On my Win98 box, The browse is set to automatic. should this be disabled? [sig][/sig]

Yes - The browse setting on the 98 machine should be disabled.

About the &quot;prompt&quot; when trying to access the w2k machine: You have to enable the 'guest' account in windows 2000(It is disabled by default). You can find it through Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Local Users and Groups. Good luck! [sig][/sig]

This may or may not help but it may be worth a try.

First, in windows 2000, right click on My Computer. Select
properties, then select Network Identification, select Properties, name your workgroup. I named mine &quot;HOME&quot;. The workgroup is upper and lower case sensitive. Then go to Control Panel and select Users and Passwords. Add user, then select your users name. I used &quot;bob&quot; and password &quot;joe&quot;. On your Windows 98 machine make sure your user name and computer name are the same. The problem I have had is the user name is incorrect from what is entered on the windows 2000 machine. This is due to the user name being incorrectly set when you do your windows installation.
When it asked for name and organization, most people enter their full name. To correct this just log off your machine at shut down and log on as the user you specified in windows 2000 such as &quot;bob&quot;. Make sure you have your workgroup name the same as on windows 2000 such as &quot;HOME&quot;.
I set Netbeui as my protocol. Hope this helps... [sig][/sig]

Do any of you actully read the help files? If you notice on microsofts website they posted how to do this.
First Get the win2K machiene up. Then enable the internet connection sharing. The computer will automatically assign the win2k machiene an IP of 192.168.0.1 leave it! Then go into your 98 box. Go into networking. Set this(in the ICP/IP settings): 1.) make it accept a DHCP don't assign the 98 box an IP. Then make sure that (in the WINS tab) the last option (resolve WINS by DHCP or something like that) then setup IE as you would for a LAN without a PROXY! [sig][/sig]

The solution is a setting on the win2k machine. Under the users you will notice that the guest account is not enabled.

You have to
1) Open users/passwords on the windows 2000 machines control panel
2)Click Advanced
3)Click guests
4) Uncheck Account is disabled.

You should be able to log in and share printers fine

Heeyelp! Well, spiceman, this is not your problem alone. So, I know that a year from now the answer will be pretty standard. I'm having the same problem. Set up a W2k machine on a peerpeer small business network. No recognition of w98 w95 machines. They see each other etc, workgroup settings ok, protocols ok, but no go. Going to try the ping and some other nuggets from this thread and come back if they don't work.

Mark

I have a smiliar network, winme connected a win2k internet machine. The only way the winme machine will see the the win2k one is to install netbeui

I'm using a Win2000 server plus 5 Win98 at home (I have a lot of kids...) I went thru the same problem lately and this is how I made it work:

Each 98 is set to use TCP/IP with DHCP adresse resolution;
The Win2000 server is set with TCP/IP with NetBIOS on top (see inside the TCP/IP setup screens). Also, don't forget to either create users for each workstation or activate the guest profile (see a message earlier) otherwise 98 wont see the server and vice versa.

Also, the Internet share must be activated for the server to resolve DHCP request. In my case, it's easy since I have an other NIC. If you don't have another card, you can dreate a false dial-up that you will share so the DHCP resolution will be activated.

Hope it help.

Being online 24/7, doesn't the Guest account enabling make your master machine (Win2k Pro) more vulnerable to succesful attacks?

Btw, I have the IPC$ problem on my Win98 machine, which I want to connect to the Win2K machine for printer sharing. It not only asks me for a passw for the \\win2k\IPC$, but most of all for the \\win2k\laserjet I have installed. Any valid passw for the Win2k users is returned as wrong, as it isn't matched with a Win98 usernname (blank).

Any other suggestions besides enabling the Guest account or creating a user/passw on the Win98 machine? ;-)

Andrew, UK

What fun would setting up a network be if it just took off and ran without a hitch?
All of the suggestions here are very good. I am running a W2k Pro, (very impressed!) desktop, a Win98 laptop, and a Novell 4.11 server. The only problem I had was with W2k, it could not see the Win98 machine. The three best tips I would have to say are: 1. Ping, 2. NetBeui, and 3. Guest. As for ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, I wouldn't mess with it. Use Proxy from or Proxy+ from Both are free however Proxy is eaiser to configure than Proxy+ and Proxy+ only allows for three users unless you pay.
I am certified in Novell and have never had any experience with NT but as I said above, I am very impressed with W2k Pro. Now I'll have to try Advanced Server!! This is so much fun :)

I had the same problem, although I have W2Pro and WinMe. All I had to do was activate NETBUEI on both OSs and everthing went fine...

Being a newbie to this particular forum I hate to re ask a question you may feel has been answered but I am running into problems fairly similar to Spiceman Above. I am trialling Windows 2000 server for a small win 98 network. I am trying to do this using our local workgroup which allows me to see the server and indeed access outside comps from the server but whenever I try to access folders on the server I get a password required prompt for the /IPC$ folder. As you may have assumed I am not a network person, merely a web devver trying to get the office going. If anyone could help me in this VERY frustrating issue it would be most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back