Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/Windows 98 network 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiceman

Vendor
Apr 17, 2003
US
I went through quite a bit of unexplained hell last night trying to get a LAN up and running, which for testing purposes consisted of only 2 PCs: one on W2K and the other on 98. <br><br>The PCs are connected through a Netgear 16-port 10/100 hub, which has worked fine for everything else i've used it for.<br><br>Regardless of what settings I tried, including using/not using DHCP, client names, et cetera et cetera, the network simply would not function as it should. The W2000 machine was NEVER able to see the 98 machine on the network, and the 98 machine could occasionally see the 2000, but could never connect - giving a network error. Once, the 98 machine did try to connect to Comp1$/IPC$ which I realize is an administrative sharing setting. However, it wanted a password for this connection, which I do not know and have never set, so no progress was made in that direction.<br><br>Any ideas? Yes, both machines are on the same domain. Yes, they both have file and print sharing turned on. No, I don't have a clue what to do now.<br><br>

I too have had this problem. My variation:

4 machine win98 LAN. One win2000 client (my machine) on the far side of my own dumb hub (some people seem to think hubs can be a problem so I just mention this).

The win98 cannot see me and locks up on browsing me.
I can see them but no access to shared folders.

I put Netbeui on and took it off again.
I have netbios over tcp/ip - read somewhere this is necessary.
I made matching accounts one ONE win98 machine (but not the others including not the server) with my win2k.
I enabled sharing and permissions on my machine.

Still didn't work.

I found 'enable guest account'

And it works.

I can browse the shared folders on the 'server' (I don't know how much of a server it is... we're in china and it's in chinese, the admin is chinese.. we can't really communicate).... he's shared everything...

They can browse my single shared folder but they must provide a password to log in first... the password for the user accounts I created.

Seems to me enabling the guest on win2k is the major problem.

regards... abrogard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back