Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/Windows 98 network 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiceman

Vendor
Apr 17, 2003
US
I went through quite a bit of unexplained hell last night trying to get a LAN up and running, which for testing purposes consisted of only 2 PCs: one on W2K and the other on 98. <br><br>The PCs are connected through a Netgear 16-port 10/100 hub, which has worked fine for everything else i've used it for.<br><br>Regardless of what settings I tried, including using/not using DHCP, client names, et cetera et cetera, the network simply would not function as it should. The W2000 machine was NEVER able to see the 98 machine on the network, and the 98 machine could occasionally see the 2000, but could never connect - giving a network error. Once, the 98 machine did try to connect to Comp1$/IPC$ which I realize is an administrative sharing setting. However, it wanted a password for this connection, which I do not know and have never set, so no progress was made in that direction.<br><br>Any ideas? Yes, both machines are on the same domain. Yes, they both have file and print sharing turned on. No, I don't have a clue what to do now.<br><br>

Here's what I tried that helped. Each item made some amount of difference.
See the post above from dxd. Re: setting the browse master and static ip addresses. I did both. Both made some difference in the amount of visibility the network had mutually.
Check the sharing, of course. I'd done that much.
Finally, I had never set the password for the administrator account, and hadn't properly set up the users. The steps above made the network usuable, with use hitches on the W2k mach. Setting the admin pw and checking the user settings I had made (some of which I gave admin rights) changed all that and it works smoothly now.

Howdy,
My issue is that I have a 2000 machine and 98 machine hooked together into a Linksys cable router to share internet access, and the router is working as far as splitting the cable, both are online. The problem is getting them to see eachother on the network neighborhood.
The 98 box pops up a &quot;unable to browse network&quot; error when I click on Entire Network. The 2000 machine on the other hand sees the 98 box, but says &quot;path not found&quot; when you click on it.
The linksys box uses the dynamic ip address issued by my isp and then issues 2 seperate ip's to the 2 boxes. When i ping one ip from the other, everything works fine, which leads me to beleive I have a possible naming or password issue, but all attempts at troubleshooting along those lines have failed. No help from Linksys thus far, since technically, they're router is doing what its supposed to. On the other hand, I hadn't tried networking the 2 boxes prior to purchasing the router, so I can't say for certain if the problem is the router or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Have you enabled guest on the win 2k machine. I had to do this in order to get the 98 and 2k to see each other.

Question: I have a Win2K Pro machine and W98 machine. I can &quot;wack,wack&quot; to the shared folders on both but if I try to &quot;wack,wack&quot; to just <computername> it says &quot;The network name cannot be found&quot; Also Network Neighborhood in W98 says &quot;Unable to browse the network. Is this normal, if not, what am I missing?

I have been having the same Network Password Required message. I took the suggestion to make sure I was logged on the win95 system as I am on the win2000. It worked. I can see all the resources I setup as shared on the win2K from the win95. I should have checked here earlier.

I'm having a very similar problem, except my LAN consists of two Win2K machines. One's a Dell desktop for home use (SKIPPER), the other is a docked Dell laptop for work. LAPTOP was configured by the IT department and also connects to a VPN at work via a modem. SKIPPER uses a modem to connect to the Internet (I know, I know...I'm working on getting DSL).

I want LAPTOP to be able to print on the shared HP LaserJet connected to SKIPPER.

Each box has two NIC cards, so I dedicated one NIC each to the LAN. The cards are configured as follows:

SKIPPER: 192.168.0.1, no DNS, no DHCP
LAPTOP: 192.168.0.2, no DNS, no DHCP

SKIPPER belongs to workgroup CORP, and LAPTOP belongs to my company's domain.

The boxes can ping each other and an icon for each appears in the other's &quot;Microsoft Windows Network&quot; window. But I can't open SKIPPER from LAPTOP and can't see the printer connected to it. Whenever I click the SKIPPER icon, I get the following message: &quot;No logon servers are currently available&quot;. It doesn't matter whether LAPTOP is connected to the VPN or not.

I'm more of a Unix type (probably guessed that from my moniker) and a bit of a novice at Windoze networking. Anyone have any suggestions, or recommended reading?

Thanks.

Reconfigure your laptop to be in your CORP workgroup

Making the laptop part of the CORP workgroup means it can't be in the corporate domain. What will that do to its ability to communicate with other remote systems via the corporate VPN?

Thanks.

If you are just trying to connect the laptop to your
home system just to use the printer, just enable Netbeui protocol on each machine, and make sure you have either a
user name and password for your Dell so your laptop can connect or have your Dell shared so that it requires no password at all, uncheck the secured password @ ctrl-ALT-DEL
in the Users and Password section in Control Panel.
I have been able to get around the workgroup problem by disabling the password and either going to microsoft network
or just doing a search for the computer name. See if this works.

I have a simular situation.
Desktop is Windows 98 setup under a workgroup
Laptop is Win2k and setup under a domain.
From the Win2K laptop I can get full access to my Win 98 Desktop but not the other way around.
If I try and accesss the Win2k laptop from the destop I get a &quot;logon server cannot be found&quot; error.
I can't de-join the laptops domain as I need to get back in later.

When they were both 98 this was not a problem.
Any suggestions?

For the recent post, usually when connecting to domain the user is a domain user not the laptop user.

Create a new user on the laptop and give it a password.

When mounting from win98 to the laptop you'll be prompt with username and password, put the new one.

I should have been clearer:

I recently did a clean install of Windows 2000 on my Laptop. This PC is used with my company network and required being set up with a DOMAIN.

My desktop is not used on (has no access to) the network and has networking setup as a WORKGROUP.

When both PC's ran 98 they could easily access each other via a simple cross over cable or ET hub. I just set fixed IP addresses on both and turned sharing on the drives.

Now - I can see the Win2K from 98 and ping it, but I cannot access it. &quot;No login server found&quot; error from Network Neighborhood.

I can see, ping, and access the 98 from Win2K.

I cannot de-join the domain on my Win2K because I have to be able access the network. (When I did de-join as a test - I could access everything bi-directionally)

How can I achieve access from both machines to each other without de-joining the domain on the Win2K?

Thanks,
DK

You could try netswitcher ( This is quite a common problem as NT/2K/XP o/s do not allow you to be a member of domain & workgroup at the same time (so people with domain based work laptops can't join them to home networks without resigning the domain).

This is my problem as well. I don't know how to disable browsing on the 98 machine. All this is a bit confusing, but every problem mentioned here is what I am having.Oddly enough I am not having the same problems with a second w2k machine.

Note that sharing is on. File and print sharing are enabled. Guest is enabled. I am using a workgroup so no IP address, or is that wrong? No domain, at any rate. I CAN access w98 laptop from w2k desktop. Just not the other way around. I too have the phantom \\Win2k\IPC$ folder although all drives are marked to share on desktop. I have just about memorized the help files to no avail. W2k has me blocked.

Please help me!!!! Spiceman..did you solve the problem? how?

I have removed passwords from both machines and coordinated passwords. The user name for both machines is a) the same or b) logon name is in list of users with permission. (tried both ways). Netbui protocol on both.

hello,
windows2000 server having phsical dump memory error so, to reterive data we put that hard disk on other machine as slave becoz it haveing NTFS parition after copying the data
when we boot the machine it`s not able to logged in it accepted the password but again login windows appeear to relogin not even login as loacal administrator what the hell is that my crutical application running on that how can i logged in . try every possible thing safe mode, last good known configuration, even i had run the ERD but all in vain can u help me

hello,
windows2000 server having phsical dump memory error so, to reterive data we put that hard disk on other machine as slave becoz it haveing NTFS parition after copying the data
when we boot the machine it`s not able to logged in it accepted the password but again login windows appeear to relogin not even login as loacal administrator what the hell is that my crutical application running on that how can i logged in . try every possible thing safe mode, last good known configuration, even i had run the ERD but all in vain can u help me

Thank you blacknas, enableing the guest account is exactily what i was looking for.

Its not easy at work without a good Linux box around.

Hope nobody out there is still struggling with the W2K/98 networking struggle, but I just resolved mine and it was easier than I thought. The first fix was just as a couple of others mentioned, creating a new user and password in the 98 box. If you're prompted for a password just change it and leave &quot;old password&quot; blank. This led to the 98 box seeing the W2K box. Second, (and maybe this was just my machine) the 98 machine was missing a file which was compressed and couldn't be found... (vserver.vxd). To extract it go to start, run and type sfc (system file checker). Click on &quot;extract one file from installation disk&quot; and type the filename. Click start. In the box labeled &quot;restore from&quot; type C:\WIN98, In &quot;save file in&quot; type c:\windows\system. You should see &quot; file successfully extracted. Reboot and cross your fingers. By the way, it works 100% with TCP/IP. Good Luck!
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back