Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which code editor do you use? 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medic,

>> May I know which of these text editors have these simple (but important) features I mentioned here?

I know that Textpad and Visual Interdev do this.

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); }

Re: onpnt on TextPad: You forgot one of it's nicest features (I think - I skimmed) - the add-ons. Have added ftp batch scripts, java compiles, syntax lookups for most programming langs, etc, etc, as hotkeys.

I assume EditPlus does this too?

As for debugging - go javascript every time ;)
It's try/catch is more elegant IMO than
on error resume next
dim fso,file
set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
if len(err.description) > 0 then
'uh oh bad
exit function
end if
set file = fso_OpenTextFile("blah.txt", 1, false)
'uh oh bad
exit function
end if
'do something else
'uh oh bad
exit function
end if

:p

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

Cool codestorm!

BTW: where have you been? Don't tell us all you were working [censored]

medic: editplus does have that functionality before
codestorm: yep, 100 user configurable tools that can be any executable script, etc you want. I tend to stick swith the built-in ftp option though because I can then edit the file remotely and when I save it it saves back to it's remote location.

I also turn off the auto-completion because auto-completion annoys the ever-living heck out of me :p

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Ok, onpnt, I won't tell you :p

Have been seriously too busy tho :(

. o O ( Hang on, that means money )

;)

Tarwn, I threw EditPlus and TextPad at the office, and so far only TextPad has stuck (I'm using it). Other dude still uses InterDev.

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

No accounting for taste ;)

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]

you're just jealous they all went with me [lol]

Heh, yep, thats it...whats next, my gf? Oh wait, take one, please :)

[laughtears]

phew!! what a long thread :) Might as well mention I'm a textpad coder too!! Heres a question though, does anyone know of something *veery* similar on Linux?? I really dont have time to learn Vi...

Digital Soma

Linux: I generally use Kate, but if someone has a good suggestion I'd be happy to hear it. Kate has some minor amount of options, such as syntax highlighting and so on, but it just doesn't quite catch up to my editplus's.

I'm a TextPad diehard (haven't tried editPlus)...

Anyone know how to have TextPad comment out blocks of ASP code at a time??? Meaning, I highlight a section, click a button and get a single quote at the beginning of each line...

Also, has anyone found or developed a GOOD asp library for TextPad. I'm using one from the site, but it has trouble with single quotes (comments) that are not closed. I need it to assume a quote is closed when the line ends without a closing quote...

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

mwolf00,

here's an asp comment macro from textpad.com:

i use the asp3 syntax file from the site - i'm not sure if it's the syntax file or a setting in textpad that keeps single quotes from acting funny. i know that i only have double quotes listed as StringStart and StringEnd...you can put the single quote under SingleComment

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); }

Thanks for these helpful tips guys.
After playing with all these text editors for the last 16 hours (approx.), I have narrowed down my choice between EditPlus and UltraEdit. Among the text editors mentioned here, these are the only ones I've tested to have smart syntax color-coding. With UltraEdit, I can (at first glance) tell which are ASP codes, HTML codes & JavaScript codes, where they begin and where they end. I can immediately know if I have missing script tags. EditPlus, on the other hand, makes HTML coding faster with the use of its toolbars for inserting tags. These text editors has a lot of other useful features too (But I lean more on syntax color-coding).

Medic

OK - so I downloaded ultaEdit and the &quot;ASP (Visual Basic/HTML) - 12/31/2001&quot; wordfile.... Very nice....

I may have to shell out another $35... Do you think I will get a discount if I tell them I'm switching from TextPad.

I'm not sure, I still want to evaluate it...

Is there a way to comment out blocks of ASP code in ultraEdit?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

UltraEdit update...

I've been playing around with it - needed to tweek the wordfile a bit...

I've actually been giggling!!!! This editor is much more intuitive than TextPad (so long old friend)

For instance, if you don't close a quote at the end of a line, it assumes it's a comment (some of you may not like this one)

When you open a parenthesis or bracket it highlights the last one opened when you close - no more counting to see that you've closed your 5th parenthesis in a difficult equation.

when you type an if..then statement, it automatically indents until you type &quot;end if&quot;

For next loops are similar, but a little quirky - still working on this one...

This is fun!!!!

I wanted to thank Tarwn for giving her specs on EditPlus. I have been using it for about a week now. I am totally loving it! [lipstick2] Thank goodness (and you too Veep) I got away from that stinking FrontPage!!!

[ponytails]

So I'm all alone in textpad world. I actually downloaded Ultra, and have to say I like it better. Think I need to work on some things in it and I may convert..

<inside joke start>Tarwn will know why I'm [laughtears] my a$$ off</joke>

Nothing like a well formed inside joke [laughtears]. It's the though that counts [laughtears].

I had a feeling after I posted that I used the wrong sex. [blush] I am guessing that is why you all are laughing!! Sorry, Tarwn!! After all, aren't the smartest people on earth women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back