Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which code editor do you use? 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all, aren't the smartest people on earth women?

wow!!! I'll have to remember that one [lol]

ya, Tarwn is a guy. but no one would know that unless you knew him personally so don't feel anything ill mannered about it. I just had to get him for it [wink]

I understand I would have done the same!!

[ponytails]

As a late addition to the thread:

Visual Interdev as Text-Editor

or

Notepad

... of course, perhaps having the office pony up for Visual Studio, then using it as a $600 notepad, was a bit exorbitant ([bluegreedy]). But I do like the auto-complete feature.

After reading the EditPlus, UltraEdit and TextPad commentary... I'll give them each a spin, too.

Thanks for the info, folks.

onpnt -

Be sure to check out the function list - IT ROCKS!!!!!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

Myself Im a big ASP developer, and use Just notepad most of the time. knowing HTML makes it easier.. ;-)

Lately though Ultraedit is a great tool Ive been using for a little while now. Cuts down on things like line numbers and code colors etc..

And to lower myself a bit, I use frontpage for site management. You'd be surprised how cluttered a website can get without that tool.

The only drawback I see w/FP is that it creates all those '_vti_pvt' and proprietary directories.

But thats been my coding preference. etc. Visual Interdev is ok, but really overall Ive' seen notepad works in almost ALL my situations.

My two cents ;-)

Jason Burton
Starloop International
<- temp

Personally I never really liked the GUI in UltraEdit but that's me... EditPlus is much nicer in my opinion. I know I shouldn't promote my own work in this forum but since I didn't start this thread and also since my product is free I will do it anyway :) Source Edit, or
It has most of the features the commercial editors have, including quick syntax highlighters for most languages, intellisence code completion, FTP support (open/save files directly to/from a FTP server), HTML toolbar, Hex Editor, context sensitive help (you can add an unlimited number of help files for each language you want Source Edit to search for your keywords in), user tools (compilers and file viewers) can be added to the environment, clipboard history, code and file templates and much more.

It's 100% free, meaning no cost, no nags, no spyware, nothing to lose. If you don't like it... uninstall it.

Cheers,

Joacim

Ok, been out of town, so I have to play catch up now:
1) I don't like florida drivers, sorry if that covers any of you, but all I haver to say is ARGH!!!!!&^&*^*&^*^*&!!!!

ok, on to the more serious stuff:

Color coding: Editplus does have differant color-coding per language. It even changes the base highlight for languages and allows you to change them further if you like. For instance, if your typing some html and ASP, your generic text in the HTML blocks will come up blpack, your generic words in the ASP block wioll come up dark brown. Just noticeable enough to see that they are differant blocks. Plus I like the sharper coors...I thyink I remember textpad being more pastelly, but I could be wrong.

Gender: Consider me gender neutral, the only reason gender really matters is to choose bathrooms, doctors, and for dating. And seeing as I can do the first without sharing, visit the second without mentioning it, and am already overburdened in the third dept, I think I can live with any classification thrown my way :)

Ultra: If I try it I might like it, and then I have to learn a whole new editor, I'll stick with Editplus :p

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Guys lets face it. All old programmers &quot;doesnt like&quot; or &quot;doesnt want&quot; to learn new stuff.
All likes the program that used from begining.
You should give a try to some new ones even they cost or not.

And i want to ask if somone did actually managed to learn some stuff from those editors. And i give you my example
Regedit + Visual Interdev i've found lots of new stuff (Autocomplete Stuff).

Just give here an example whatever operating system you used that you managed to learn from those editors?
I dont like them just they color my sintax or adds some new features. They dont really help me find new things.

Like i sayed all like the program they used before but there are some who might actually change some things. Give a try.

________
George, M

I used to be a hand coder that was happy using notepad. Then i discovered ultraedit. This app has so many useful features. Some of my favourites features is the file search and replace feature. At work we also developed our our content management system and we were actaully able to configure ultraedit to highlight our own special tags. Another cool feature is the column mode.

I have used InterDev in the past but found that it adds code to your existing code which in my books is annoying especially when you are trying to keep your code as browser independant as possible.

Of all the many editors I have used I must say for general coding I use UltraEdit when i can. Unfortunately due Interdevs integration with SourceSafe I have to use it when doing ASP Development at work but i much prefer ultraedit.

I haven't seen enough reasons to take the time to learn a new editor. In the past 10 years I have used 4 differant editors for HTML, 3 Java IDE's, VS6, VS.Net, and played with various other IDE's.
UI agree that editors that add toyour code are very annoying. Just as editors that add mysterious files with no explanation are generally annoying.
I think in the end that comfort plays a lot into what you use to code. I have been using Editplus for a few years and though I do keep finding functionality that I didn't notice before, I am comfortable with it and can code very quickly with it. FDrom what i have seen of textpad and UltraEdit, they are very similar to Editplus. The tradeoff between the time it would take to get comfortable with a new editor vs the functionality those two offer that editplus doesn't (and los of functionality in switching) doesn't seem worth it to me at this time. Perhaps in a few more versions.

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

SashiRaveendran,

you're not stuck with Interdev with asp because of sourcesafe...I use Sourcesafe too and have it configured to use my Textpad for asp.

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); }

i use DreamweaverMX for color coding, UltraDev when to using server-side programming and VB's reference viewer to view the Methods and Properties of an API. All these are best in its nature and work :)

Sorry onpnt ...

Boss noticed TextPad and EditPlus on computers today (actually touched a developers' computer!), and decided if we liked them he'd buy a 5 licence ... of one.

Other dude has been using EditPlus, TextPad for me. Thought I'd better try the other before deciding, and I have to say - I prefer EditPlus :p

Has some nice extra features which I haven't seen standard (or looked hard for) in TextPad, like built in FTPing. 'Curse, it also has all that HTML-hotkey-candy, but I prolly won't use that.
So, yeah, now you're more alone.

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

In regards to personalized programming experiences,
some developers just choose to use what they're confortable
using to get whatever job done.

My personal experience programming in the ASP world,
is using a 'text' based editor for the logic, and for visual layout I use a WYSIWYG HTML editor tool.

Im not closed to learning new things, Ive been using the latest in technology (Asp.net etc.) and still develop w/coding.. (same amount of time in both ASP and ASP.net).

So I guess it really depends on the person.

My extra few cents.

Jason Burton
Starloop International

I wish I had the flexibility that most of you have. At work, I have one and only one tool to work with - FrontPage. I have tried over and over to convince my employer that it is doo-doo and that it makes as many problems for us as it helps me solve, but they are unwilling to spend money on real software. I have IT constraints placed on me to keep me from using the free text editors mentioned - they do not allow any unapproved installs. For now, I am stuck in a FrontPage nightmare. And everyone thought Freddy Krueger kept people awake for fear of their nightmares! Along that same note, can anyone recommend a good book to help with debugging ASP - at least maybe that will help me manage my FrontPage nightmare.

coachdan32

I believe Notepad is free and standard with a Windoze install ...

;)

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

I would recommend EditPlus to all code-extensive programmers like me (I hate WYSIWYG softwares that alters my code, or requires me to create files I don't need, etc.)

Here are some of the features which I mostly like:
1) smart syntax-color-coding that lets you know if you have unbalanced tags, and makes it quicker to distinguish between scripts and HTML codes;
2) ability to navigate through any part of your codes wihout falling to the left-side of the line whenever you try to go past beyond an end-of-line (I find this stress-free when I'm trying to trace and analyse between the beginning and end of indented code blocks);
3) quickly insert frequently used HTML tags to make your coding faster
4) undo your changes even after you have saved the file.

Here is the list of other editors I tested and compared (Some of these have of the features I mentioned above):
- UltraEdit
- TextPad
- Notetab
- Visual Interdev

Again, thank you guys for giving tips on these text editors, and also to you BDC2 for coming up with this thread.

Medic

As I think I have mentioned before, I am using EditPlus. I notice that medic said:
1) smart syntax-color-coding that lets you know if you have unbalanced tags,
I am in need of this. Where is the option to turn this on? Does this include if statements and ()? Thanks.

Any basic WYSIWYG HTML editor so I dont have to think what it's going to look like as I code it. Then I bring it into ultraedit and add in my ASP code.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Well, 10 months after I originally posted this, I'm still using Dreamweaver, and probably won't change. Old habits die hard I guess.

BDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back