Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to do about pesstimistic boss(CEO) 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I'm in a very small software company (bout 5 employees, James(CEO), Ranee(CEO's wife, and Customer Service Rep), Josh(VP & developer), Shavonne(developer), and me Karl( Programmer/Analyst according to my title)<br><br>I'm the newest employee by about 6 months now. <br>right now I am studying for Visual Interdev 6 certification, the only main reference used is Master Web applications with visual interdev 6, and I just taken the cert exam today, which i failed by 50 points, he's going to have me take it again next week, but throught out the month, his additued takes any small thing, and turned it into a big negative thing againts himself, for example today, I am leaving 15 Mins earlier than I normally do (but its also leaving 15 mins later than the core hours required) says I'm leaving early, and I said yes, but he start saying that then I dont feel that there is anything more I need to learn then, and I should consider even comming in tomarrow, If i feel i dont think I can learn any more, all this over planning on leaving the office 15 mins early, and I walk to and from work, 30 min walk.&nbsp;&nbsp;There has been several other events like this, in which I never talked back, and always tried to avoid confrontations. Is there any tips to work around or avoid these type of bosses.<br><br>(another thing is I am the only employee that knows VC++, and has used more development tools together than the other staffs, according to rannee I learn as fast as the technology moves, in otherwords, I'm the only one that goes out learns the material as it appears on the market)<br><br> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

kb244,<br><br>Sounds like you are young and probably will not like my advice, but here it goes.<br><br>You need to work on your presentation at the office.&nbsp;&nbsp;First off, if your spelling is anything like what you post here, what you say may make all the sense in the world but you make people &quot;slug&quot; through what you are trying to get across.&nbsp;&nbsp;You need to communicate more easily.<br><br>If you work for a boss who likes you to be there until 5:30, than just do it.&nbsp;&nbsp;If they want you to make coffee because you are the new guy, just do it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Keep your mouth shut, build your marketable skills, and when you are done learning from them update your resume and move on.<br><br>Mentally always work for yourself.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hopefully some day you really will.&nbsp;&nbsp;:)<br><br>Ghost

Karl,<br><br>As Ghost says, keep your head down and tow the line. It is not fun being the new guy / most junior in the company. Most of us have been there...<br><br>Work hard, check your work (no-one likes to be shown a mistake they made, least of all by their boss) and do EVERYTHING the boss or his wife ask.<br><br>Above all, learn everything you can, get that certification and don't worry! You work for one guy who seems to hate you for a few years, then you get a new job with someone who is fantastic. Swings and roundabouts.<br><br>Don't forget though - you are working for someone who sees you as 20% of HIS company. If YOU go home before he does, you aren't as committed to his company as he is. Therefore he is not getting the most out of you and it is his neck on the line.

did I mention least 6 people quit before I finally settled in, at one point of time I had to carry the task of 3 people cuz 3 quit within 3 months i was here, but thinks for the advise anyways, and he for some reason is in a much happier mood this morning(probally only hits him randomly)<br>company has existed for a little over 4 years.<br><br>-Karl <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Karl,<br><br>He probably read your post and realized he was being a jerk.&nbsp;&nbsp;:)<br><br>Ghost

naw he wouldnt goto these sites anyhow, I think he was just agitated about things, talked to josh, he said like some of you said, to just kind of blow it off, if i just keep working everything should be fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;Oh also I dont want to upset him, and I try not to , but I'll just keep an eye out, today I got here before 8am probally wont leave til 6pm, also the CEO has put alot into me, when he found out my family was moving to michigan, he gave me a salary raise, and is currently paying for a new appartment that he leased for me. also paying for my certifications and what not, if only Microsofts books intended for the exams were more of a match of quality. We're getting two more new employees soon, one of them used to work here , and another is going to be brand new to the company, So least I'll have some way to present myself in gaining some form of senoirity.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can probally understand the preasure since I am the only one who does more languages than just VB and ASP, so I'm depended on for making componets and tools for the other programmers, despite the good things that come out of all this personal-wise is rather uncomfortable, I know they want to help me succeed, but I dont know where exactly I stand in the company, They all tell me I'm smarter than I give myself credit for, but basicaly this is a new situation because it'll be the first time I'll be away from my family.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for the advise, and humor hehe. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

The key is not to take it personally. You're probably doing an excellent job, but some people have bad brain chemicals or bad marriages, some have low blood sugar, some are alcoholic, some are just socially immature. It really isn't personal, although <i>they</i>&nbsp;&nbsp;may think it is! As you've said, he probably treated all the people who quit the same way. Just make all your decisions about how to act based on &quot;What are my alternatives?&quot; and as soon as you find something better, go.<br><br>BTW I second the vote on the writing/spelling thing. If you can learn the syntax and spelling of multiple computer languages, I'm sure you can do the same with English. Try Strunk & White's tiny classic. Poor spelling, grammar and punctuation affect people the same way they do computers. You can get by with errors, but after a critical number of errors, it alters people's perceptions of you, with unpredicatable results.

Thats the funny thing though, I am alot better when it comes to writing multiple language codes, than I am with standard gramatical english (if you think about it code language is actually easier to write and keep track of than english since it has to be done a certain way or it doesnt work) But um, thinks for noticing anyhow.<br>two reasons though<br>1) I type too fast (last tested 80 wpm, about 50wpm correctly)<br>2) I've never been all that great when it comes to spelling, Since I am hearing impaired I did not typically get the spoken+written together, thus growing up I've usally written words the way I felt they were heard (for example dropping of ends of words, etc)<br><br>But I've been very good at communicating with numerous people, in person that is, but it doesnt help when I feel presure, so if theres not much anti-social pressure I communicate rather well. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Of course there's way fewer words in any computer language than human language, that's why it's so much easier. But if you think the automated feedback is helpful to learning computer languages, you might want to try using a grammar and spelling checker in a word-processing application, as it will flag you just like a code error on questionable spelling and syntax in English. <br><br>That's great if people tell you that you communicate well in person. I wonder if that is due, not so much to your <i>skill</i> in communicating, but your directness. Lots of people (like your boss) have agendas and that muck up their communications. You're wonderfully direct, but you could also put a bit more effort in your presentation. <br><br>Do you re-read and edit your communications at least once or twice, trying to imagine how the reader will perceive it? There's no need to be in such a hurry that you key 80 wpm if you can only key 50 wpm accurately. Often, &quot; less is more&quot;. Take all the time you need to think through what you're writing. It builds self-discipline and broadens the mind to work at seeing the world from another person's point of view. If we just let our thoughts spill out of our mouths or onto a keyboard in a stream of consciousness way, it sort of says to the listener, &quot;Come over here and talk to me,&quot; instead of &quot;I'm coming over to see you.&quot; <br><br>Best of luck with your situation. I know you'll do well.<br>

Follow Elizabeth's advice.<br>We don't represent ourselves with our intentions. To the world, we only exist as a result of our actions. We are only what we we appear to be. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Yes I know, more or less &quot;actions speak louder than words&quot; <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

When I started with my company I was employee #6.&nbsp;&nbsp;We're now at 120.&nbsp;&nbsp;Neither of the founders could give you directions to Earth.&nbsp;&nbsp;One was lost in the clouds and the other (call him Jekyll-Hide) was out of his mind.&nbsp;&nbsp;Everyone here has made excellent points and I'm going to second them.<br><br>As Ghost said, don't work for someone else, work for yourself.&nbsp;&nbsp;The way I phrase this is that I don't work <i>for</i> anyone, I only work <i>with</i> people.&nbsp;&nbsp;Get a firm idea in your own mind of what your goals are and work toward them.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your job is not your life, it should only be a tool to help you achieve what you want in life.<br><br>Decide now (but don't tell anyone else) whether you're with this company to make a career out of it, or to learn some skills and move on, then work in that direction.&nbsp;&nbsp;In the meantime, on a day to day basis, do what you're directed to do, take pride in your work and correspondingly, do it well.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've done plenty of projects that I didn't give a s**t about, but still knocked myself out and did a good job because of pride in my work.<br><br>If the abuse gets too deep, pretend you're an actor playing the role of an abused employee.&nbsp;&nbsp;If this guy does it to everybody, keep that in mind as well, it's not personal so don't take it that way.&nbsp;&nbsp;Shrug it off, and get back to work, always moving directly or indirectly toward your long term goal. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Jeff makes yet another excellent set of points. I just got chewed out AGAIN for doing what I consider to be an excellent job. I work hard, I am committed and I do a good job.<br><br>I'm now going to continue doing a good job as I always do. I'll still be committed. I'll still do everything to the best of my ability.<br><br>I'll also look around for a new job...<br><br>This time I'm just here to learn (I learned how to get abused). Maybe next time will be for life.<br><br><A HREF="mailto:Zelandakh@zelandakh.co.uk">Zelandakh@zelandakh.co.uk</A>

kb244,<br><br>I think the first thing you need to determine is, whether your boss is just blowing steam, or if your boss is a nasty person that you won't be able to please.<br><br>If he's just a hot head from time to time, ignore it and go on. If he's nasty and he can't be pleased, you have to determine the benefits from working for the company.<br><br>In either event you might want to begin looking for a new job. DO NOT LOOK FOR A NEW JOB AFTER YOU'VE REACHED THAT &quot;I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE&quot; point. The object of a job search is to find another job that will provide room for advancement. Lateral moves should be avoided whenever possible. You might find that you can do better, or might find that you have the best job for your skill level.<br><br>Communication skills are important, especially when it comes to writing a resume and coverletter. Find someone who can proof read for you. Use [internet] resources for, writing, spelling, word choice, grammer and usage assistance. Find ways to compensate for your hearing impairment.<br><br> <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

Well one of the main benefits I get from this job is the ability to learn new concepts and new languages, and advance in the languages I already know, however this job has no benefits whatsoever , other than the fact I got a raise, my own appartment, and utilities paid, when he found outI was leaving about 2 months ago, this means I have no medical insurrance to cover my hearing aids themselves, I'm still saving up to pay off the ones I am using now. but I did recently get some medical insurrance which I am covered until I am 23, for the past week and a half, my main priority as said to me by my CEO is to learn, we are both working towards this certification, I failed the test by only a few point last week (which could explain his little bit of steamblowing late that same day) however he's letting me study further to retake it, I think back and I try to think how could this benefit the company, it doesnt really benefit the company, benefits me more likely, since I can take it with me whenever I leave the company, heres my other question, I'll list what i'm being paid, plus the requirment, and any benefits<br><br>Title : Programmer/Analyst<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tools utilized during the job : VC++ mostly for means of creating complex internet related activeX controls for use in the VB programs that the rest of the team develops<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;VB I often help create many of the Visual Basic controls that were required in the project as a whole, I also work in VB so that I can create an example ofhow the VC++ Control should be used in VB.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HTML/Scripting I also have a task of handleing one of the customer's website whenever he needs changes, addition, and deletions of products removed from the page<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hardware maintenance : I make sure most of the software works properly, backups are ran regularly, and that all hardware is noted and placed in the inventory as well as swaping parts around to make more expensive and useful parts of the computer placed in computers that'll be used more often.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Analyst : offer sugestions to problems, and help solve general computer related problems in the office<br><br>current pay effective as of the 19th<br>30K salary, (12$/hr for the past 6 months until my next paycheck)<br><br>following benefits included:<br>certification being paid for.<br>my own appartment (as of a month ago)<br>utilities paid on the appartment (except for phone, cable, internet, the extras that I fill in for)<br><br>the salary requires that I work 44 hours a week(no overtime is paid, and not allowed to work more than 50 a week)<br><br>So in your opinion how good does this sound, am I basically underpaid for the multitude of tasks I am responsible for, also I think he's wanting to get me into Java soon so we can start porting almost everything we have for netscape users.<br><br> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

KB - I submitted a post yesterday but it doesn't seem to have made it (??). Basically you have to stay and do your time. People in computers often feel that they don't have to do their &quot;time&quot;. Most jobs are not that great when you first start. Give it another year or two and you will be in a great position.<br><br>Your with a small company - are they going places? You could be in priume position...<br><br>As for they hours - welcome to the real world. I have to work on <i>average</i> 12 hours a day for no overtime.... <p>Cal<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Yikes.<br><br>I'm doing a 55 hour week as a standard, and more if situations arise. Those extras are unpaid. I provide telephone support to the company out of hours until 10pm even if I am on holiday.<br><br>I have 15 years experience in computers, plenty of management experience, I am head of department, most of the way through my MCSE and have decent knowledge of around 50 applications. The buck stops with me for anything IT in the company. Servers, desktops, Internet, Intranet, Database programming, Firewall, Mac, PC, Linux, budgetary control etc, project management and all other aspects of IT.<br><br>I make about the same as you. I have to fund my own home, &quot;utilities&quot;, certification.<br><br>I'm more than 10 years older than you too. Maybe you aren't doing as badly as you think...

I think 30k a year for people with experience is under market value. I don't have stats to back it up, but I have an inkling. There are many variables, including region, number of jobs available, number of qualified candiates, etc. Have you checked the I/T job market lately? <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

no I havent, at the time I first got this job no other company seemed to want anyone at entry level, plus not having any professional experience at the time. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I think 30k/year for someone who is under 23, no college, and learning on their first job is excellent.&nbsp;&nbsp;Throw in the fact you are hearing impaired and don't respond will to anti-social pressure just builds the case even more for you to sit tight.<br><br>Work very hard and learn for atleast 2-3 more years before even considering looking around.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Americans tend to be less mature in these things than our non-American counterparts.)<br><br>Sounds to me like you are still accelerating with your career where you are at.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sit tight.<br><br>Ghost<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back