Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wanting to move to the US any suggestions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshman213

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
ES
Hi all,

I have now got a feeling that I have outgrown the UK and would like to move to the US for better opportunities and a better way of life.
My area is It H/W support and have decided to spend the next year obtaining MCSE/MCSA 2003.
Can anyone suggest how easy it is to do this, and any suggestions on companies thats may sponser the application.

Thanks

John

One more question,

If I come across on the academic route is there a college/university people can recommend that are renowned for courses along the Hardware/Networking routes?

Thanks

John

There's a wide range of universities available -- a lot depends on what your knowledge level is, what your academic credentials are, and what you can afford (there's financial aid most of the time).

The other thing is that most US universities don't teach specific hardware or software -- they'll teach theory (although, there are exceptions). You would need to go to a vocational school to learn a particular vendor's products.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

don't try to shortcut the system... it could cost you the ability to *ever* get here... just do it right, stiff upper lip and all that, wot?

Seriously, if you get a student visa and they find out you were not really trying to be a student, you could be deported and permanently expelled... plus fines and/or imprisonment...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

jtb,
Good advice, but I don't think it could be the case here. Would a person trying to shortcut the system ask for names of reputable schools?
Absolutely legally, though, students on visas can spend an extra year working in the country after graduation, and either ask their employer to sponsor them or find another one that would. Some people actually find a spouse while studying or working - nothing wrong with it, too (even though it seems that the original poster is already married).

jtb,

Stella is right, I am not looking to short cut the system, I believe that it will enhance my knowledge and what I can offer to employers, as I come mainly from a H/W back Ground and to be honest it would seem strange if the companies in the US could not find someone with H/W Desktop skills.

Stella,

You hit the nail right on the head, except the married part, guess I must have said something opposite earlier.
I Would rather take this approch than line the pockets of the agencies while working for a sponsered company on poor wages.

Thanks again

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back