Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W98 Freeze on Normal Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

metsey

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
US
My sister's w98se compaq goes right to the menu with normal,logged boot,safe mode, etc... Picking normal the system will get to the Mcafee virus check, display the results of the check, and then freeze there. I can get it into safe mode. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Thanks

I suggest you remove McAfee from autoexec.bat to prevent it from loading in DOS initially. If, without McAfee loaded, it still freezes, it may be due to a currupted/missing VXD. Try removing McAfee from start up in DOS by removing it from autoexec.bat and see if it works. If the problem still persists, come back here and see if you can present us with a more detailed error. Good luck. --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure."

I had that problem once and yes desactivating Mcafee like the guy said before worked.

Good luck

I removed Mcafee from the autoexec.bat but it still freezes. I did a step by step confirm and it freezes each time after loading msmouse.vxd I tried typing Y and N for msmouse.vxd but either way it freezes. So I don't even know what the next vxd file should be. Any suggestions?

McAfee 6.01. Windows 98. After updated McAfee, Windows not start. Only normal start if in safe mode, throught msconfig disabled in autoexec.bat the lines:C:\ARCHI~1\ARCHIV~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe C:\@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

But so I can´t run ViruScan.

Look for a line at the end of autoexec.bat that says something like "IF ERRORLEVEL (somethingorother) PAUSE.

Delete this line or remark it out and reboot.

I am at same stage metsey was on June 1. Win 98 stops after msmouse.vxd with nothing happening afterward. The Hard Drive engages three times after I hit Y on msmouse.vxd.

Any suggestions

I also just encountered the problem of Win98se hanging and not loading after installing McAfee VirusScan 7.0.

Pressing delete on start, going into CMOS and picking "Fail-Safe Defaults" did the trick for me.

I then went back and deleted that x%#!! McAfee program.

This also happened on another computer of mine. Deleting McAfee and throwing the blessed thing in the garbage (after following the steps above) were the only things that helped.

A tech recommended InoculateIT as a virus scanning program that causes fewer problems and costs less than McAfee.

In the interim, I loaded an older Norton program and everything works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back