Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN as it applies to IPO VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieTC

Technical User
Jul 2, 2005
CA
I have established a VPN tunnel between 2 VPN routers. The tunnel is up and running with the information in the instructions 'Nuggiefirst' provided me (thanks!). After establishing the VPN tunnel it shows  connected but the IP hard phone still does not see the IPOffice network (192.168.0.0). With the IP hard phone I tried DHCP and Static etc...In fact when I try to ping anything within either router ping utilities I cannot ping anything from the IP hardphone network (192.168.10.0) to the IPOffice network (192.168.0.0). The error states host not found as it would normally shows when it does not see the range of IP addresses being in the same range as the local addresses. Should you not see all the remote computers as  we now have a dedicated link between networks which allows me to see all the network printers and computers?

I am baffled at this...am I missing a step...can anyone help?

Frustrated NewbieTC

Hmm.. Which VPN-boxes do you use?

Do you use the local VPN-box as default gateway on the PC, and as router on the IP-phone?

Also: Have you created an IP-route to the VoIP-network on the IPO?

I am using a Netgear FVX538 for the IPO side and a Linksys Wireless-G VPN Router WRV54G on the IP Hardphone side.

Yes I have created a IP-Route in the IPO that describes the remote network LAN addressing (the Linksys router and IP hardphone side).

If I can't ping the IPO from the remote site doesn't that mean the LAN is not accessable from the remote IP hardphone side?

NewbieTC

My guess is that something is wrong with the VPN-tunnel.

If it's not possible på Ping across the tunnel at all, it must be the tunnel!

I have no knowledge of the products used, so I can't be to any help there.

If there is something wrong with the tunnel why can I ping the routers from each others diagnostics ping utilities? and why does the tunnel show a successful connection?

Thanks for your help anyways...

OK the routers can ping each other..

And you have the IP Route in the IPO?? (return-route to the VoIP-network).
Also: The PC that pings the IPO, does it have it's local router as default gateway?

I use a VPN (linksys to linksys), IPO 406 on 10.0.0.x remote site on 192.168.50.x

IP route set in the 406:-

ip address 192.168.0.0
ip mask 255.255.0.0
gateway IP (is the address of local VPN router) 10.0.0.1
destination LAN1
metric 1

Remote site, IP phone has a gateway addres of the router it is connected to.

Test ping from a PC at remote site to IPO, if you cant ping the IPO try ping to router at IPO site.

Let me know how the ping go.

Eric

First question about the PC that can ping the IPO...never said that was so...the only ping that works is within the routers own diagnostics pinging utility that can see the remote endpoint router's local address. I cannot ping to any device from any device other than the routers to each other with the router's own pinging utilities.

Second question is again about pinging the IPO...I have never been able to ping the IPO from the remote side. That's what has baffled me from the begginning. Is it possible that even though both sides of the network showed connected withing the router's configuration page it is still not compatible?

I have ordered another FVX538 and I am going to try the same router to establish another VPN tunnel and see if it is compatibility that is the cause of the VPN tunnel not acting as expected.

If someone else has had a VPN link showing connected but still not work please come forward I would like to know if this is possible.

Okay lets start again, make this simple.

NETWORK A:
What is the network DHCP range?
What is the router IP and gateway?
What is the IP address and subnet of the IPO?
How many IP phones?

NETWORK B:
How many IP phones?

How are these two networks connected (i.e. DSL, LAN)?
Is this two seporate IPOs that are networked?
Does each network have IP phones that need to connect to the IPO on their network?

NETWORK A:

192.168.0.100-254
(Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 LAN)

192.168.0.1 (router and gateway IP)

How many IP phones?
None

NETWORK B:

192.168.9.100 - 254
(No server PC to PC LAN)

192.168.0.1 (router and gateway IP)

How many IP phones?
1 phone at this time.

How are these two networks connected (i.e. DSL, LAN)?
All conections are through DSL.

Is this two seporate IPOs that are networked?
No not at this time but another branch office will require two IPOs to be networked.
Does each network have IP phones that need to connect to the IPO on their network?
No not at this time but this will be an eventual reality with this client's growth situation.

Hope that answers the questions...

All devices on network "B" need to be in the same range 192.168.9.X

Is it a typo or do both IPO have the same IP address and gateway?

Can MS SBS server ping remote end router and IPO?

I have used the Linksys Wireless-G VPN Router WRV54G with a Linksys 4 port VPN Router and could not get a talk path and all kinds of strange things. So I tried it with another Linksys 4 port VPN Router and it worked fine. Try eliminating the Linksys Wireless-G VPN Router WRV54G, because I spent alot of time configuring the routers and troubleshooting and it was a big waste of time.

I have suspected this and have ordered another Netgear VPN router. I spent 2 hours with Linksys trying to figure out what could be wrong and at the end of it they blamed it on the VPN router that is actually working with other VPN appliances not there own product that has failed to work...

I will try taking out the Linksys and get back to you with may success...until then thanks for every person's input...

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back