Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtsbees

Programmer
Jan 29, 2007
US
I tried to slipstream an XP Pro cd for installation on this SATA laptop, with the RAID/SATA drivers from Intel (945GM chipset)---the damn thing still does not recognize the friggin hdd...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burt

Could it be that the SATA/Raid controller requires drivers for Vista which may well be different to the XP ones on the disk.
Look for Vista driver support on the manufacturers website.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Paparazzi I think he wants XP instead on the VISTA that is installed...

Burt how did you slipstream the DRIVERS? I would suggest you integrate the drivers using nLite ( ) ...

if that is what you had done already, then it maybe that the SATA drivers you used are not the correct ones, and that the Laptop uses another SATA controller chip...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sata drivers must be installed with a floppy drive. There's a txt file with a list of floppy drives on it. Only the drives in that txt file will work. This can be done with an external usb floppy drive. I don't own sata so I haven't had to deal with it.

My laptop does not have a floppy drive, hence the headaches of slipstreaming...ha ha...I have the drivers, and I extracted them to a floppy, so that I could pull the unzipped files from the floppy and incorporate them into the XP driver folder, and do all the text file changing. But thanks.
The main reason I want to install XP is that Vista does not support half of the programs I use on a daily basis, including any Symantic antivirus. Thank goodness I know to and how to back up...

Burt

@burtsbees
Actually, if you download the latest "trial" version of Norton 2007 from their website, you can enter your key in and it will work with Vista. We've been doing this at work for new machines we build. I work for a small OEM, and we've been dealing with some of the headaches of getting things working with Vista. But that happens anytime a new version of Windows is introduced. It's more pronounced with Vista because there is so many major changes, both in the GUI and beneath the hood.

Boy, do I ever know that! There are some things that I do like, such as the ease of a VPN setup, Windows Mail, and all the Pretty Colors. Ha ha. I know that a trial version of antivirus works, but I want a full version...and my subscription to 2006 has 9 months left! Right now, there is nothing important on my laptop I really need, but I do backups anyway. I don't have a habit of opening unknown emails or connecting to a strange network, but I do know how simple it is for someone to slip a Trojan by---I run Hijack this often, but no antivirus...
Perhaps I may look into the external floppy drive thing, and perhaps by the time I get one, I will have become accustomed to Vista...lol. Thank you all for the helpful replies.

Burt

Okay---I've had it with Vista!!! Can anyone out there help me with reloading XP on this stupid thing? Can I really use an external floppy drive to load SATA drivers with the F6 option at the initial XP installation screen? Someone, PLEASE HELP!!!!! I will read all that is necesary, but I Google it and it leads me to nowhere! I have a Gateway MT6821. Thank you.

Burt

Burtsbees,

Look in thread602-1336192 for help. It's just a matter of assembling needed drivers, nuking the drive, then reloading XP.

And yes to the USB floppy, the only one you are likely to find is the IBM here:

Please note the IBM option part number 27L4226, FRU 05K9283, it must be this exact model to work for XP F6 floppies.

Tony

i believe you only need to f6 install sata drivers if you are setting up a raid array. you do not need to do anythung to install on a single hard drive.

Well, then why does it tell me that there is no hard drive?

Burt

Look in the BIOS for SATA IDE options...you might have a choice for "standard IDE" or "SATA RAID". But I have had PCs before that needed a SATA controller driver given to them regardless of RAID or single drive, depends on the chipset.

I agree wahnula. I have read other posts, and one guy was successful using nlite, same model I tried laptop as me, but I tried and it wiped out my hdd...good thing for backups...lol

But I know you need SATA drivers---they are not necessarily just RAID drivers, but for the controller, which is what tells the mobo how to interact with the specific architecture of a serial ata drive.

Burt

nLite, as I mentioned above, is usually what I use to integrate the SATA Drivers to install XP on a PC... it is clean and straight forward, and no probs 'til now...

Ben

Ben, I did try it, and perhaps used the wrong drivers, because what happened was I made the XP cd with nlite, but I guess I had the improper dvd ROM drivers, because after it was done wiping the hdd, it could "No longer access the Windows XP cd"...ha ha ha...is this Microsoft's mean trick on me to get back at me for using Linux?lol Thanks, Ben...I will give it another go...

Burt

probably got a SATA DVD rom also... hmmm... I also have a laptop with the 945M chipset and I used a regular XP CD to install it (PS: SATA DRIVE was in IDE MODE, so check your BIOS if there might be an option for that)...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back