Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

downgrading Tosh laptop from Vista to XP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forscher

Technical User
Feb 2, 2012
GB
Hi,
I am re-posting this query with more detail, since I think that it was maybe in the wrong section..
I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Edition. I should like to downgrade this machine to run with the XP OS.
I have a genuine, but rather old, Windows XP Pro CD with SP1. I also have downloads of XP Sp2 and SP3.
I have searched the web and understand that I need to download the latest XP9 Intel (Matrix) Storage Manager Support Package from the webpage.at I have visited that webpage and successfully downloaded the appropriate XP drivers for the laptop. However, I am unable to find (or identify) the appropriate Chipset sub-folder of the F6flpy directory, which I understand would enable me to add a storage driver from a floppy disc. To be honest, I am not quite sure how to proceed here!

laptop details: Satellite A100-02M
Model Nr.: PSAANE-04U03EEN
Serial Nr:. 372 464 64Q

Before I attempt run the upgrade, I wanted to make sure that, if all went wrong, I could revert back to Vista. Therefore, before I begin, I have tried to run the re-install program. I have held down F8 during boot-up, as instructed, and after inputting password and username have reached the screen offering me the various options. I have tried the "Restore to an Earlier Date" option and that works OK. However, when I try the "Reinstall OS", nothing happens. I have checked the HD which is partitioned with the C partition and also the hidden partition, of size 1.5G labelled "Simple Basic", "Healthy (EISA Configuration)"; the other (C) partition is labelled NTFS. As far as I can remember, when I asked John Lewis, when I purchased the PC, they said there were no back-up discs.
Has anyone any suggestions, I've been pretty impressed by responses to earlier questions..

Hi,
No. I have a genuine (legal)XP installation CD slipstreamed with SP3 and everything was quite straightforward. I deleted the unusable 1.5G hidden partition and really no problems. I think that I was perhaps too worried about no being able to install XP and then not being able to revert to Vista.
Cheers

I would agree that you were too worried, but that's better than being under-worried and not prepared. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back