Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity plates 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I was driving behind a Honda this morning with a very clever vanity plate. It had the letters LI, followed by the cent symbol, then finished with PL8.

Have you seen any creative vanity plates lately?

OK, I guess I'm missing something, but I don't see how you get Sandra from "SIO2RA". Would somebody care to explain?

"SIO2" is the representation of the chemical compound "SiO[sub]2[/sub]", Silicone Dioxide, aka Sand. By extrapolation, "SIO2RA" = "SandRA".

If Mike's interpretation is correct, then we can guess that the person who ordered the plate must have done reasonably well in chemistry class.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

OK, I'm gonna blame this on lack of sleep. I was focusing only on the "IO2" translating to "and", which didn't make sense (despite the fact that SiO2 was previously discussed).

KornGeek...don't feel bad, I did the same thing when I read that first thing this morning. I think it's time for that 2nd cup of coffee.

I don't know if anyone has seen this website. As a Star Wars fan, I would love to get the "Toy Yoda" plate for my car.

Saw this on my way to work this morning.

N2MEUC

Felt a little creepy ;-)

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

I propose that for this thread, any vanity plate posts...
Must be accompanied by the interpretation in a Hidden Spoiler like this one.
[2thumbsup]

I need help, Dan, with the "N2MEUC" that creeped you out.

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I imagine I read it the same way Santa did:
[tab]N2 ME, UC
or
[tab]into me, you see

Someone who is a narcissist and brags about it. Sounds like a real d... I mean jerk.
But I'm not sure why that would give Dan the creeps.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Sounds very narcissistic to me.
Code:
[white]Into Me, You See[/white]

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Maybe Dan read it as: Entomb, you see.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Ah. Or maybe, "Entomb you, Si!"

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

SantaMufasa,

Suppose you don't know the meaning when posting?

Tcsbiz said:
Suppose you don't know the meaning when posting?
Then you say in your post, "Can anyone suggest a meaning for this plate?" [2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa

Opieo (2-Jun-08 12:50) and jsteph (3-Jun-08 15:45)
I think it was SMRTRNTU
Smart, aren't you?
I don't know what they wanted to say, it just sounds to me that way.
And some states do allow 8 characters - NY, for example. So if there is a chance it could have been
from NY (as in NYU), it could very well be other 8 characters.

I think it is at least as likely to be the other possibility given by Opieo, SMRTRNYU (or a variation on that theme)
SMRTRNYU ->
SMRTR N YU ->
Smarter 'n you ->
Smarter than you
Which would make sense since s/he is driving a Smart Car and you, most likely, are not.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

anotherhiggins,
NYU is New York University. That's what I thought Opieo meant telling that it might have been SMRTRNYU (of course I may be wrong). As for spelling "you" as "yu" - I've never heard/seen it before. It's either "you" or "U".

You could certainly be right. And, for the record, I know that NYU is a school. I can only come up with one interpretation where the school matters in that plate, and that's if it is what I previously guessed. Spelling "you" as YU could be a play on "words", given that it follows N. This could make sense if they are a fan/graduate of NYU. But that's a lot of "if"s.

And even if a reference to the school is unintentional, people get creative when trying to come up with a license plate that isn't already taken. Given some of the convoluted plates posted in this thread, YU for "you" doesn't seem to be much of a stretch at all.

But this all may be a moot point - I just checked NY's DMV and neither SMRTRNTU nor SMRTRNYU are taken. Apparently New Jersey doesn't allow you to check for plate availability online.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

If the original plate sighting truly was "SMRTRNTU", could it have been a clever Spanglish combination: "Smarter Than Tú" ("Tú" = familiar "You")?

Of course, if I was going for an Hispanic audience with the message, I would have started with "Soy más listo que tú," perhaps "plating" it with "LISTO K2"

[santa]Mufasa

As for Spanglish..
I don't know Spanish, but I do know some other languages, and understand bits and pieces from others. I've seen so many interesting plates around - but many of them are not in English. I've seen both, those with transliterated words and phrases, and those substituting Latin letters for similarly looking Cyrillic letters where possible. (Most are usually much clearer spelled out than the puzzles posted in this thread.)

Was it a blue license plate with SMRFRNTU?

In that case, it may have been Papa Smurf...

<running for the hills>

re SI02RA,
stars to vanka25, MadMichael, SantaMufasa!
vanka25 unlocked the code;
MadMichael 'added 2+2' to get the answer;
AND Santa explained it.

well done all. one small change - she's a geologist. much of the understanding of geology involves chemistry so santa is partly right.

re WASHIS
i saw it on an email i got some time ago.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back