Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity Plates "XIV" 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Yet another new thread for our Vanity-Plates obsession. (Previous thread exceeds 100.)

I didn't know what this plate meant:

...until my perverted buddy said I needed to read it upside down.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Annihilannic said:
Do you have any equivalent in the New World?

I wish we did have the equivalent. The reason is that our being a republic, made up of 50 states (plus D.C. and other territories), those individual states (in an attempt to preserve some measure of "sovereignty") do not look kindly upon Federal "interference" in their state's motor-vehicle laws. Therefore, we don't have nationally mandated "L" plates, or other indicators that the vehicle is being piloted by a "rookie" (or other relative newbie).

If individual states wanted to implement such, then they could do so, but if the vehicle travelled to a neighboring state that had no such provision, then the other-state's policing authorities would not feel the least bit obligated to enforce the original state's plating system. Since there is no uniform plating authority, states don't enact laws to restrict their own drivers more strictly than visitors.

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Mostly, in the USA you can't tell if a driver is a student driver except by looking at his drivers licence. Unless a car belongs to a driving school, you can't tell for sure.

When I got my first license, in 1970, the only restriction was that I couldn't drive from 9 pm to 5 am (later changed to 11 pm to 5 am until age 17). I started out with a learner's permit (meaning that a licensed driver 18 or older had to be with me), but I could have gotten a full license at age 15, had I passed both the driving test and the written test.

There are a couple of states that have special license plates for drivers convicted of alcohol-related offenses (Minnesota and Ohio; maybe there may be others).

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

Annihilannic, just a curiosity follow up question:
All the license plate stuff is very interesting, but that would apply if the new driver has his/her own vehicle. What about if he/she is using the parents’ cars to drive before getting his/her own wheels?

Have fun.

---- Andy

Some parents (maybe drivers, too), put a "NOVICE DRIVER" magnetic sign on the trunk/tailgate of the vehicle. My next door neighbor recently got his license. He told me that during his permit period, he was required to log a certain number of hours/miles driving in various conditions, including dark, rain, snow, and fog. Not sure if they would have refused a license if he didn't reach selected threshholds. And if I'm not mistaken, you must be 21 to drive in NYC. (At least it used to be that way.)

====================================
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there - original.

Some years ago, it may be still going on, at least in Poland, novice drivers or those who only drove once in a while (people called them ‘Sunday drivers’) used to have a sticker of a green maple leaf (‘green’ diver?) on the front and back window so other drivers were aware of them and didn’t lean on the horn so much. :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Here's my first entry.

Saw these two this morning:

XPLOSVE

SEC O WAR

Not sure why someone has the second one on their can. I can't quite figure it out.

Andrzekej said:
Annihilannic, just a curiosity follow up question:
All the license plate stuff is very interesting, but that would apply if the new driver has his/her own vehicle. What about if he/she is using the parents’ cars to drive before getting his/her own wheels?

The 'L' Plate isn't part of the licence plate ("registration plate" as we call it) itself, but a separate square plate. Sometimes they are magnetic like the "novice driver" mentioned above, sometimes they slot in to a square frame that is usually sticking out at a jaunty angle from behind the rego plage and sharing one of the screws, sometimes just a sticker. The magnetic or slot ones would probably be preferred by parents in the scenario you described.

662207-l-plate.jpg

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Was passed by NYC 2 OH this morning. Ohio plate. They were doing 55 MPH in a 45 zone.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I don't seem to find any that are very interesting, but here are two I saw this morning:

JNPPLES 1
DENALI

Not exactly sure what the first one means!

Meibe,

"JNPPLS.COM" was a domain name that lasted from March to April this year. I can't find any other information about it.

[santa]Mufasa

Time to 'fess up. I have a vanity plate. It says "OLD BAY". I just love that spice blend!

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there - original.

Two more this morning:

EXIT YES
KLAU SHA - are these the relatives Santa never talks about?

This week, from an Hispanic member of the jedi -

OBY JUAN

Fred Wagner
(retired, but still involved!)

Saw this on a Lincoln sedan...

[tt][pre] ABELNCN[/pre][/tt]

Driven by an old white haired guy that I assume is named Abe.

Spotted over the weekend...
[tt]
[pre] HYPNO DR[/pre]
[/tt]

Saw a list of Vanity Plates denied by the Maryland MVA. The usual stuff, including SCUM, SNUGGLE, etc.

But also included was UNKNOWN. As you can guess, it would be a great way to get out of tickets. Very slick move, but caught.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back