Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity Plates II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Ok...to continue in a new thread...

PHEWISH

Anyone have ideas on this one?
I think it's "Pfff...You wish!"
It's probably on an expensive car...

--Jim

myself said:
This was a freshly cleaned Cadillac Escalade.
Before anyone else corrects me, that was supposed to read "This was on a freshly cleaned Cadillac Escalade." Hey, it's early, and I'm only on my first cup of joe.

I don't think the 'on' is strictly necessary to convey the meaning, rjoubert. What do others think?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Ken said:
I don't think the 'on' is strictly necessary to convey the meaning, rjoubert. What do others think?

Hey, I've been corrected here a time or two on my grammar/spelling. I have to be careful.

I think the presence/absence of 'on' determines the antecedent of the pronoun 'this'. With 'on', the 'this' refers to the plate. Without the 'on', the 'this' refers to the car.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Fine, but the plate was implicitly 'on' the car unless it had fallen off it.

Either is correct; they just mean different things. However, one is explicit in meaning, but the other requires an implicit assumption.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I'm glad my mistake was able to generate a lesson in grammar. That's why I purposely omitted the 'on' from my post. [wink] Yah, it was on purpose...that's it...that's the ticket!

This morning I saw a big fancy pick-up truck(if "fancy" can rightly be attributed to any pick up - it was fancier than mine, that's for sure). There was a small New England Patriots sticker on the back window and the vanity plate read "IUZ2SKI". I am guessing the Pats sticker is relevant in that they are from the area and skied there.

=======================================
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself." Cool Hand Luke

Did the pickup also have a temporary handicap sticker hanging from the rear-view mirror? [lol]

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

@ temporary handicap sticker[ROFL2]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Over the weekend:

[tab]KENOBI-1

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Must've been the disleksic jedi master.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

There's one around here - C3RVY. Haven't been able to assess the veracity of the plate however!

Did the pickup also have a temporary handicap sticker hanging from the rear-view mirror?

lol - I did look but the windows were too dark. I figured if it bothered him enough to get a vanity plate about it, it must have been something catastrophic that made him quit...

=======================================
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself." Cool Hand Luke

Coolest one that comes to mind... CLS63 AMG license plate: MNOPOLY

perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(40*2),sqrt(7600),(unpack(c,Q)-3+1+3+3-7),oct(104),10,oct(101));'

Saw a rather unique one this morning.
DTW2BHM

My take on it:
Airport codes, Detroit, MI to Birmingham, Alabama

~
“Your request is not unlike your lower intestine: stinky, and loaded with danger.” — Ace Ventura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back