Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity Plates 15 !!! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Holy smokes...we are still going strong on our obsession with license plates/tags as we are well over 1,500 posts on this topic. Again, I'm starting this new thread to reduce load times since the previous "Vanity Plates..." thread has reached over 100 posts yet again.

Here is my thread starter from my typically straight-laced and up-tight Utah:

Code:
,==================================,
|                                  |
|               4HORS              |
|                                  |
'=================================='

I'm certain that it reads this way because they just couldn't fit "d'oevre" on the rest of the plate due to the 7-character maximum, right?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Spotted this Louisiana plate yesterday:

is not a sample plate (it had the older [tt]PERSONALIZED[/tt] legend on the bottom, and a current validation sticker).

Not sure if it was six zeros, or six Os (Louisiana uses the same die for both).

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

In some states, I don’t know if that’s everywhere in US, just numbers are not allowed on a plate, you have to have at least one letter. So you cannot have your cell phone number, or all zeros, as your plate. :-(

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Andy, I read a news article a while back (when Illinois was issuing all-numeric general issue plates), that the plate set 867 5309 was issued to a woman named - you guessed it - Jenny.

Apparently, in Louisiana, you have to have at least two letters:

PERSONALIZED PLATE REGULATIONS

-- Francis

Andrzejek said:
... So you cannot have your cell phone number, or all zeros, as your plate.

Yikes! Who would want their cell phone number on their license plate?!?

I live in road-rage-California and I can imagine accidentally cutting someone off and then my phone starts to ring. Now not only do I have some A-hole riding my bumper, but I've got him calling me over and over making death threats.

On the plus side, I guess it would give me his contact information which would be handy for the police report (or police investigation, depending on how it goes). [bigsmile]

Sam Bones said:
2DNCIS[heart]

I love the show NCIS too, but I still don't understand what she's trying to say here.

I assert that this refers to a very special secret N.C.I.S. subplot where Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo is in a very special [heart] relationship with Very Special Medical Examiner, Dr. Donald Mallard. (How fast could we start a rumor? <grin>)

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

In Deleware people try Hard to get the lowest numbers when they become available.

Number 1 is for the governor. Tag 529 was available for $45,000. . .

I was driving behind a red Ford Focus today while I was on the phone with my wife and I had to laugh so hard that I had a hard time to explain what happened.
The license plate read

JR DICK

driven by a man in his late 50's or early 60's

Joe W.

TeleTechs.ca
FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Not so much Vanity Plate, but Vanity Sign... A mayor of a small municipality up here decided to spike things up:

hidlgu8lpj6didkfg.jpg

"Silly Walk"

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

I actually know a J. Dick. Do not know his middle initial though.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

DJJ said:
I actually know a J. Dick.

And I know a Dick Johnson.

[santa]Mufasa

Wow. Quite a few of us know someone whose last name is Dick. I know a Robert W. Dick, JR. [americanflag]

I was thinking maybe he was a Junior Detective. ;-)

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Saw this one, today, on my way to work.

ELE GIRL

Scientist or Doomsayer?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Saw this on a Volvo (which helps explain it). They had painted in a dash to clarify, as I'm sure they got tired of having to explain it to people. [bigsmile]

SO-SWEED

Bones said:
Saw this on a Volvo (which helps explain it).
I assume the Latin word for "I roll" (Volvo) equals Swedish. (guess what Saab means...)

Now a Swedish would be called a Swede, but even their King is dyslexic, so after all you might be right [smile]

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Well, accuracy in spelling goes out the window when you only have 7 characters to work with (the texting/Twitter effect).

Saw this one yesterday...

[tt]SMOKNHT[/tt]

Ok, if it's being proclaimed on your license plate, it MUST be backed up by reality. Otherwise it's just sadly ironic at best. So, I had to catch up and take a look. The plates were Arizona plates, but this was in California. They were on a black SUV with VERY darkly tinted windows. Tinted to much I could barely make out who was behind the wheel. As best I could make out (deep tint, fading evening light, moving in traffic, bad angle, brief glimpse), it appeared to be a bald guy in his 40's or so. Not exactly what I would classify as "Smokin' Hot".

Silly Walk"
On Monty Python's Flying Circus, one of their skits was the "Ministry of Silly Walks".

DICK
How about Dick's Sporting Goods, Dick Van Dyke, Dick Clark, and Tricky Dickie . . . and . .

Gunnaro said:
I assume the Latin word for "I roll" (Volvo) equals Swedish. (guess what Saab means...)

Saab is an acronym for Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolag (Swedish for "Swedish Aeroplane Company Limited").

Tongue in cheek, it means "Shape Appears A** Backwards", or "Still Ain't A Bimmer"

Volvo is indeed Latin for "I roll", but it has nothing to do with automobiles, as the company's first product was ball bearings. "I roll" in Swedish is Jag rullar.

-- Francis

Francis said:
Volvo is indeed Latin for "I roll",

Correct, from the Latin infinitive volvere, which strangely (according to Merriam-Websters) is the same origin for the word vulva. Perhaps that's been conjugated as well. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back