Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Mouse trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltp9999

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
US
I have a Logitech USB Cordless Mouse on my XP system. It was plugged into one of the two USB ports on the motherboard, but I moved it to one of the three ports on the USB Hub (Adaptec AUA-3100LP, 3 ports). Now the mouse is unseen.

When I enter the Device Manager and "Scan for hardware changes" on the USB controller, the mouse works. Reboot and I have to scan again.

Unplug/replug the mouse from the hub port, it works.

I plugged the mouse into the original port, uninstalled, plugged it into the new port, works. Reboot and nothing.

I plugged the mouse into the original port, uninstalled, rebooted, plugged it into the new port, works. Reboot and nothing.

Any ideas how I can get the device moved?

Under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" I have listed:
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Controller (B1)
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller [2 times]
USB Root Hub [5 times]
VIA Rev 5 or later USP Universal Host Controller [twice]

Thanks,
Walt

It's an internal hub so I suppose it's powered.

plugged into a PCI slot? i believe those are add on cards not really considered a hub...you may try removing all usb devices in device manager then reboot to see if windows maybe able to put them back and then try the mouse again. do you have anyother usb devices that is showing the same problems?

No, this is the only USB dev I have at the moment

> plugged into a PCI slot?
Yes.

> i believe those are add on cards not really considered a hub
Good point, it's a USB2connect Adapter

> do you have anyother usb devices that is showing the same problems?
No, this is the only USB device at this time

> ...you may try removing all usb devices in device manager then reboot to see if windows maybe able to put them back and then try the mouse again.
I was considering this, but wanted a less drastic method of possible.

not really drastic... just do the uninstall and reboot, XP will find the devices and reload them again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back