Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UK Agents telling Employers how much I want to be paid? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdrenfrew

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
GB
Hello,

Do other employees placed by agents find themselves being told what they can earn before they have a chance to bargain?

recently got a position in finance as web/development support. The salary on the spec was 35K + benefits. First interview went well. Spoke to the agent handling it and he said he'd tell the company I was very interested. He said he told them "he'll take the job for 35K". I hadn't mentioned money to anyone at the company.

Next day when I went to see the company's finance director, I had no room for maneuvre since the agent had told them what (he assumed/conived) I wanted.

Seemed to leave a bad taste in my mouth that what I could have got out of a company who were very obviously interested in hiring me, possibly willing to pay more than spec, wasn't up for negotiation.

Is this normal practise now? I got the feeling the agent would be keeping my salary low to increase his cut, would this be the case?

It's academic right enough as I've taken the position, just really to highlight that if you want more bargain for it and don't let the agent browbeat you into thinking you'll only get £XX.

With more jobs being found via agents it feels like there's no room for the interviewee to get as much out of the employer as possible.

that's it. what a ramble.

I would decrease his fee. Agencies charge a percentage of the salary in the UK as a general rule. However, it might guarantee the money!

And the last time I used an agency, they negotiated £3k more than I asked them for! Superb!

Och well, at least I don't feel as if i've been completely done.

I suppose in some ways it maybe guaranteed the money as you say Craig0201, but you know sometimes when you're in an interview and you're in control, they would probably bump up the money to get you (if you got a chance to ask!).

Sounds like you need to find a new agent. They're supposed to keep your exact salary requirements confidential, and just give out a range ("He's willing to take somewhere in the 35-40k range"), and let you negotiate the final figure.

A good agent will know the market, and know how much to inflate your salary request to get you more money (without the client choking on it). After all, he's paid on a percentage, right?

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

The agent generally works on a percentage, so it's not in his interests to reduce your salary. HOWEVER if he asks for too much and the company decides not to hire you as a result, he gets nothing (as do you!).

Really, it's a breakdown in communication. Either the agent should have asked you "Are you happy with 35K?" or you should have told him "I want more than 35K!". Probably the latter - since the advert said 35K and you applied for it.

-- Chris Hunt

I take the point Chris, I mistakenly made the assumption agent would help me get the most money, even if the client did claim to have a "ceiling".

I'll just wait for the annual bonus to cheer me up!

thanks

Still pretty chuffed to have got the job and looking forward to it, which I guess is important too.

Also a good agent typically has a good relationship with their clients (the company) and knows what you can expect to get. If a company always hires for the advertised salary then the agent knows the the chances of getting anymore are slim.

I was in similiar situation when interviewing for my current job. THe company had previously advertised and 60 but then dropped the search a few months later they re-advertised at 50. I was made aware of this fact by the agent and was told not to expect much more than 50. So I excepted the 50 but had reviews written into my offer letter stipulating that if I performed at or above expectation of what they were looking for when the advertised 60 then I would get the salary increase.

A company maybe unwilling to budge on an initial salary but you can try to have your offer written in a manner that, brings you to what your true worth is.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I went for an interview for a position advertised at 30-35k GBP. Found the position on an agency website. Sent in my CV for the job because from spec I could do it with my eyes shut.

Spoke to the agency and said I would be happy between 25-30 as my last position paid 21. Went for an interview, got a job offer at 26k. I was quite upset. I questioned the CIO at the company as to why the offer was 4k below the advertised rate ad he told me the agency said I wanted between 25-30 WTF !!!

Negotiated up to 31 rising to 34 after a probation period but we agreed to tell the agency I had accepted at 27. Tossers. If my post wouldn't get removed I'd name and shame the gits.

This is in the UK BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back