Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble getting into bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtype17

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
Ok so i am trying to install WIn98 onto a Compaq. Let me set this up for you....

It had two hard drives with a 600mb (small) as the primary C: and a 10 gig as a secondary D:. naturally i wanted to remove completely the 600mb and move the 10 gig as the C:. when i move the 10 gig to the C: (i attached it to the proper cables and all the jumpers were fine) and booted up with a Win98 Start up disk, it still recognized the new C: as D:. I cannot get into the bios to make the switch (it won't let me no matter how long i hold the F10 key) however, if i put the harddrives as they used to be (with the small C: and big D:), i can get into setup by hitting F10, but it is useless this way.

I need a way to have the computer recognize the bigger harddrive as C: and not D: so i can install Win98.

Would it work to get into the BIOS and set the hard drives as none, then reboot with only the 10GB drive and see if it can be set?

Some old Compaqs had the CMOS Setup program installed on a hidden partition on the HDD. It looks like this might be the case with your system. When you remove the old drive, you are essentially removing the CMOS Setup software as well, which is why F10 is not bringing it up.

See for a download which will replace the setup on a hard drive. Make sure your model is listed before trying this one, as there could be another for you model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back