Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TROUBLE BURNING VIDEO CD'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedevil1

MIS
Apr 13, 2003
GB
I've tried many times to burn video films onto cd's but have not success. Burning audio cd's I do very easy. Every time on vid cd it says no file format or unsupported file format. Any ideas of what i am doing wrong or what I need to burn video cd successful. The system I use for burning is 'NERO'. Can anyone help a damsel in distress please.

You cannot watch video cd's with Windows Mediaplayer. It doesn't support it. You have to download a video cd player form the internet to watch them or just put the cd in a stand alone dvd player that supports video cd.

Kocky,
Good point, but I think her question deals with burning video cd's and what software to use, not necessarily playing them.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Yeah, you're right cdogg. Didn't read the question to well.

shedevil1, what kind of file do you want to write to the video cd? For a video cd you have to use an mpeg file. It will not accept any avi files or you must have a built in software converter that converts the avi to a mpeg.

Found this on the net:

A Video CD is a kind of CD. It looks the same as a music CD or a CD-ROM, except that instead of music or software, it holds movies, using compressed MPEG-1 video. Its resolution is 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), which is roughly comparable to VHS.

what format or file extension are the movies you want to burn?

hi techwolf - te files are avi but i have no converter in my p/c that i know off. which converter do you recommend. thanks for the info from the net.

Popular apps for converting AVI to MPEG include:

- AVI2VCD
- TMPGEnc

Both can be used to convert the file, with TMPGEnc being the more powerful tool. However, it requires some practice and help to get used to.

On that website I posted earlier, there's a TOOLS option on the left side. It'll take you to a page full of software, including the ones I just mentioned. There are also guides to show you how to use them (click 'Guides' on the left).

Here's the link to the software page to save you a click:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back