Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble booting windows98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Recently an acquaintenced attemptempted to install an old DOS program called Scorched Earth on their Windows98 machine, I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what kind of options were presented or what they did, but after installing the game, the game restarted windows 98 (presumably to restart in MSDOS) and now they are having a perpetual boot-up, where it boots to a point and says something to the effect of emm386 not loading, and it will reboot, continualsy. If you try to boot to MSDOS mode, it will do the same thing. They can only boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode command prompt only.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Any suggestions? <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= Home Page</a><br>Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life:<br>
Without the Way there is no going;<br>
Without the Truth there is no knowing;<br>
Without the Life there is no living. —Anon.

boot into safe mode...<br>emm386 is in the c:\ directory or the windows directory.<br>replace it with a new copy from the win98 CD (you'll have to search for it)<br>If that doesn't work, re-install win98 over the old copy, you shouldn't lose any settings.<br><br>Avedis<br>(now my turn for a quote)<br>a man without religion...<br>is like a fish without a bicycle. -Anon.<br>

Thanks avedis, I will have them try that. Appreciate it. <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= Home Page</a><br>Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life:<br>
Without the Way there is no going;<br>
Without the Truth there is no knowing;<br>
Without the Life there is no living. —Anon.

Scorched Earth rules!!! I used to play that game all the time on my 286. <p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)

Rename the Exit To Dos.pif (no extension) in c:\windows<br><br>reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back