Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top Quality Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i recently purchased a stereo system, well about 2 months ago know.

I wanted to play music from my itunes library on my stereo via aux setting but the current sound hardware cannot possible cope with the power of the system, the stereo connector on my p5k barely works anymore as when i was trying it, it was so quiet on the stereo so i turned it up to see if could possibly go any louder but it didnt and it's obviously bust it, just crackles now with pc speakers.

Managing to use my front audio port for pc speakers for now though.

Well anyway to get to the point, is there any sound card out there that could handle the power of a stereo system?

Many thanks.

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Super 512MB

You don't need to worry about the sound card as it is outputing to the stero and not receiving the audio, unless you hooked it up wrong which seems more likley.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Oh right, connected with red and white connectors to stereo and 3.5mm jack to pc.

It abviously did something to my onboard audio though as it only bust once i did that.

i don't know then.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

You should use the digital output of a soundcard like the X-Fi's TOSLINK optical out, if your receiver has an optical input:

There are also wireless streaming devices like this:

...that stream audio into other rooms, but you'll need a receiver at the receiving end. Depends how physically close your PC and stereo are.

Tony

Users helping Users...

It certainly sounds like you attached things incorrectly and blew something.
A pair of Red and white connectors from the stereo amplifier? they sound like OUTPUTS?
Basically you want your files on your PC to play on your stereo, so the PC is the output source and that means you need somewhere to imput that signal on the stereo, something like mic imput or optical in with the appropriate cable.
Sounds like you possibly need a new sound card, Creative
X-fi might be a good choice.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

there isn't any output from a stereo if you plugged into the inputs of it. so it couldn't have caused the problem. Now if you plugged it into the output jack of the stereo, and had the volume up high, them you could have blown the PC card out. Before you try it again with a new card, make sure you have it hooked up right.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

well even if i did get the sound card suggested, what cable would i need to connect the stereo to pc if the last one was wrong?

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

maybe was a output cable if so, can i get a cable with red and white audio connecters that are INPUT and the other 3.5mm jack or maybe digital?

all the connectors on the stereo system are red and white connecters, speaker connections, radio connections and headphone connections. so i'm going to need to connect it up to my pc with the red and white connectors somehow.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

found an interesting article above, i need a male to male y adapter cable or as they called it "a male stereo 1/8-inch plug to two male RCA plugs"

i'm in the UK so radioshack whatever it's called isnt any good, does anybody know where i could get one of those cables from? a lot seem to be male to female or vice versa.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Rather than just doing a poke 'n' hope job with connectors which could possibly cause more damage, you need to check the specifications of both your soundcard output and the stereo system input.

Ideally the output power and impedance of the soundcard should pretty well match the input that you select on your stereo. At best, an incorrect match will result in too much/too little volume, and possibly distortion, at worst you'll damage the stereo amplifier circuitry. Impedance is measured in ohms and the power will probably be measured in millivolts.

As a rule of thumb, on a standard soundcard generally speaking the blue connector often gives a line output suitable for connecting to the auxilliary or tape input on a stereo amplifier.

If you are not sure of power output/input levels, then keep ALL volume controls at minimum, start running your MP3 file, then gradually increase the stereo amp first, then adjust the line out control on the PC.

No idea what your input terminals are on the stereo, but they might be RCA-Phono type sockets like these:-

RCA-Phono-1.jpg

I'd have expected the likes of Radio Shack or Maplins (depending upon where you're located) to have suitable connecting leads.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

The ideal solution would be if you could link the two optically.
the Xfi (and I think your motherboard) has digital/optical but does your stereo?

see cable or similar:

But the main issue being: to find the audio input on your stereo not outputs (speakers/headphones are outputs) mic (where you plug your microphone) is an input.

As I said optical is best if you have optical IN on the stereo.
Martin

doesnt have digital on my stereo only the connectors pictured above, red and white so the male to male is probably my best shot. my old cable could have been output/input or male or female so thats maybe why it didnt work.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

think i'll get the X-Fi Xtreme Audio card too though when i have the cash, looks very good and read many reviews on it.

but one question is, there's a pci and a pci express version. is there any difference in quality between the two?

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Go with the pci express version if the mobo has such a connector.

Is your sound system connected to the same power outlet as your computer? If not, the power-on/off creates peaks between the grounds that may travel through the audio cable and ruin the electronics at both sides.

There must be some identification of the connectors on your sound system. Any Line-IN, CD-in, Tape-in, Aux-in are specced the same way, at some one volt, which is the same spec as the output of any modern sound card output. Make sure that the output of the sound card is enabled by software. Your stereo 1/8 to RCA adaptor is the good one to use.

Reading through this, and I'm sure I'm missing something.

Audio from PC to Stereo.

You need to use LINE out from Sound card to something like Tape in / AUX in using a basic stereo mini jack to Phono connectors, avalible from the likes of Maplins.
DO NOT ever connect it to PHONO In (this is for record decks and use much lower power levels and if you have a prestage amp in, it will blow). As a note, on many amps.

PC to Stero.
Take a feed out, usually marked Tape OUT or Minidisc/CD Out, occasional marked Passthru. It must be marker OUT. Never use Speaker outs. Again connect using a mini jack to phone connectors. The must connect to LINE IN, never connect to MIC in, as again this will damage the system. As a sub note, if using these outputs, you may have to select the source and destination.

There is no reason why you can't hook it up, I've done it for 2 decades!

So as a guide, look for OUT to In, but avoid, MIC and Phono inputs.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

the only one it seems to of worked on in getting sound to the system is the green headphone socket, no sound seems to come through the other jacks on the onboard audio.

so far ive used the phono plugs in AUX IN on the stereo and the other end 3.5mm jack into the green headphone socket.

that may be wrong but it seems to of worked for now until i get a better sound card.

if thats wrong mate then which plug should i use, blue? sorry just not sure on this.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

with the x-fi (which im buying), as i mentioned before it's pci or pci express but the pci express is only pci express x1 which isnt a great improvement.

is it really worth paying more for the pci express x1 version, i can't imagine there being any massive difference in performance to the pci version.

it isnt much more for the pci express version but if i can save money and get the pci version that would be good as i'm not working at the moment so every penny counts.

if it was pci express x16 then id obviously go for that but pci express x1 isnt much improvment.

any help appreciated.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

gmattey quote*
so far ive used the phono plugs in AUX IN on the stereo and the other end 3.5mm jack into the green headphone socket.

Yup....spot on, that's exactly right and if it works fine then you may not need to buy a soundcard at all.

Typically modern motherboards have either auto sensing or software selectable audio jacks.
If you haven't already done it, you could try loading the audio utilities that came with the motherboard that will give you software control over the audio jacks.
BUT.....you have already sussed it and wired it correctly.
Martin

too late, already bought the pci express x-fi, got it for £16.75 + p+p, bargain and a male to male cable.

i sound really thick on these pages as it's so so simple, it's just a bit strange though, the setup i have now i'm using front audio, the same method didnt seem to work on the onboard audio and since i dont have a proper audio rca cable, it's a video rca cable, the yellow and red cables worked and not white and red. and the red goes in the white socket and the yellow in the red socket.

all messed up but ive ordered a proper cable now :)

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back