Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top Quality Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i recently purchased a stereo system, well about 2 months ago know.

I wanted to play music from my itunes library on my stereo via aux setting but the current sound hardware cannot possible cope with the power of the system, the stereo connector on my p5k barely works anymore as when i was trying it, it was so quiet on the stereo so i turned it up to see if could possibly go any louder but it didnt and it's obviously bust it, just crackles now with pc speakers.

Managing to use my front audio port for pc speakers for now though.

Well anyway to get to the point, is there any sound card out there that could handle the power of a stereo system?

Many thanks.

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Super 512MB

From the X-fi Extreme audio manual:

Creative manual said:
Front Panel Header
Connection compatiblity

Intel HD Front Panel Audio standard only
Notes
Not compatible with AC97 or Intel-compatible HD Front Panel Audio.

I'm not sure, but it looks like your case has the latter.

Another note of interest about Pin #4, Presence #:

Creative manual said:
Active low signal that signals BIOS that an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected to the analog header. PRESENCE# = 0 when an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected

Perhaps an email to Creative support will shed some light on this tricky issue.

Complete Pinout description, in the event some other member has more info:

Code:
Pin  Signal Name  Description  
1  PORT 1L  Analog Port 1 - left channel (Microphone)  
2  GND  Ground  
3  PORT 1R  Analog Port 1 - right channel (Microphone)  
4  PRESENCE#  Active low signal that signals BIOS that an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected to the analog header. PRESENCE# = 0 when an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected  
5  PORT 2R  Analog Port 2 - right channel (Headphone)  
6  SENSE1_RETURN  Jack detection return for front panel (JACK1)  
7  SENSE_SEND  Jack detection sense line from the Intel HD Audio CODEC jack detection resistor network  
8  KEY  Connector Key  
9  PORT 2L  Analog Port 2 - left channel (Headphone)  
10  SENSE2_RETURN  Jack detection return for front panel (JACK2

Tony

Users helping Users...

so your saying my case isnt compatible with the card, i know the connector that goes into the front audio panel is not the same as the one directly into the card.

the connector that goes into the card is a 2x5 female connector (10 pin) and not sure but the other end to front audio panel is less, maybe called 2x4 female (8pin)

maybe the front audio panel also needs to have 2x5 female connector.

i know you can buy front audio and install it.

do you think that could be an issue?

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

gmattey said:
i know the connector that goes into the front audio panel is not the same as the one directly into the card.

This is probably the problem. There is a gadget called FrontX

that will basically move the rear connectors to the front. I am sure there are others too.

Tony

Users helping Users...

i want to use front and back audio so one of them that has to plug into the sound card would take away audio from the back and just have front audio.

my casing worked with onboard audio so i dont see why it shouldn't work with the sound card, the adapter on the sound card must be poorly made or something as the connections are just the same as onboard.

maybe them from frontx could have something similar on a different site which connects via sata rather than the jacks, probably not but could have a search around.

i have contacted creative, told them what product i have but then they requested my serial to determine my product when i told them what my product was in the first place, their useless.

will most probably get some computer generated garbage reply back.

might just have to put up with no front audio, we'll see.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

gmattey,

This unit seems up to the task, but keep in mind that (I believe) when something is plugged in to the front jacks it shuts down the rear and vice-versa. So, your wish to use both may be impossible. As always outside input (no pun intended) is welcomed.

Here's a link to a mod:

...that was published in MaximumPC and links to other mods...so you aren't the only one. And, I would be worried that the TRUST CR-3600 will use the standard header assignment which does not work with the X-Fi. Too bad Creative is useless, I guess I was just being the eternal optimist! [smile]

Hang in there!

Tony

Users helping Users...

thanks for that,

i did contact creative, emailed them, they said can i have your serial. gave themy my serial, waited another day hear back but because it's oem they said they wouldn't help me, useless.

wish i hadnt bothered getting this card, ok yes it's great sound but just annoying that can't use front audio, nevermind!

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

tried it in the pc downstairs, it's only a basic pc of my mothers but wouldnt recognise the device.

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

that was the error in device manager, apparently quite common with x-fi, video cards etc...

i tried disabling some devices but no luck.

i was quite confident it would work with front audio too in that computer as it's 2x5 female at both ends unlike mine which is 8 pin on front audio end.

i'm not having much luck am i!

will just have to cope with back audio only, i was wary before i bought it, heard many people saying creative is useless and their drivers etc...but thought id give it a try.

dont get me wrong, sound quality is excellent from it but think i'll buy a different sound card soon, a NON creative one.

not sure what though, can anyone recommend any other makes that are of good quality and pretty low budget like the x-fi?

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back