Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top Quality Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i recently purchased a stereo system, well about 2 months ago know.

I wanted to play music from my itunes library on my stereo via aux setting but the current sound hardware cannot possible cope with the power of the system, the stereo connector on my p5k barely works anymore as when i was trying it, it was so quiet on the stereo so i turned it up to see if could possibly go any louder but it didnt and it's obviously bust it, just crackles now with pc speakers.

Managing to use my front audio port for pc speakers for now though.

Well anyway to get to the point, is there any sound card out there that could handle the power of a stereo system?

Many thanks.

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Super 512MB

The color of the cable doesn't make any difference as long as you hook them to the right place a wire is a wire.

You wan't Aud out from the PC
and Aud in to the Stereo

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Have you disabled the onboard audio from the bios?
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

i've not got the card yet, it was onboard audio that i was talking about sorry, wont get it till wednesday probably due to easter and no post.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

You won't be disappointed with the X-Fi, it's the gold standard in sound cards...

gmattey said:
I've used the phono plugs in AUX IN on the stereo and the other end 3.5mm jack into the green headphone socket

This is a horrendous impedance mis-match, you should go from Line Out on the X-Fi to AUX In on your receiver, you might induce distortion from headphone out to line-level in. Which exact model did you order?

Tony

Users helping Users...

i tried the line out on the onboard and no sound came through to the stereo, maybe the x-fi will be different.

ordered the x-fi xtreme audio pci express version, pretty low end of the cards compared to gamer and music edition but should still be pretty good.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

got the sound card today, it's top quality.

it's not till you actually get a decent sound card that you realise how bad the onboard audio really is...

massive difference in sound quality.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

have got one problem though.

i've got the front audio ports connected via cable directly to the sound card.

when i try and play with front audio it plays for like 3 seconds and cuts off, comes up sayin audio device is no longer available or something or other.

anybody know why?

ive disabled onboard audio in the bios.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

gmattey

Disregard the front-panel connections, plug directly into the X-Fi. Any difference?

Tony

Users helping Users...

thats how ive got it set up, cable directly to the x-fi but says no audio device installed or something after about 5 secs.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Hmmm...are the X-Fi drivers installed? Has onboard audio been disabled in BIOS? I would go into Device Manager

Start->Run->devmgmt.msc

...and uninstall ALL the audio drivers. Upon reboot, go into BIOS and make sure onboard sound in disabled. Boot into Windows and Found New Hardware should ask for your X-Fi installation CD...place it in the CD tray and let Windows find & install the driver. See how that works.

Tony

Users helping Users...

done that still does the same, it's ok for windows sounds as they are only 2 second noises but after 5 seconds of playing music in either wmp or itunes it comes up with an error C00D11E5, nothing on the internet about it.

i've uploaded a image of it here:

could it be a dodgy sound card or just incompatibility with vista? even though it's meant to work on vista.

thanks.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Try uninstalling and re-installing your video card drivers. I had a problem with Windows Media Player not working, and that solved the issue. It was, however, a video not audio issue.

If you can't get it going, I would recommend starting a new post with a more descriptive title.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Does the sound card work just using small PC speakers?

sound card works with both my amp and small speakers at the back but front audio neither work after 5 seconds.

also not sure if my graphics cards would have anything to do with it, could give it a go i guess.

any more help appreciated.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

gmattey said:
sound card works with both my amp and small speakers

Whoa...OK then, the problems only exist at the front panel ports? All functions out the back are OK?

If that's the case then there's an assignment issue with the case's front panel header. Forget about the video card drivers.

Tony

Users helping Users...

yes it works fine directly with the sound card but i've got the audio cable connected from the sound card running to the front audio connector.

it worked fine when it was connected from motherboard to front audio.

when i disabled onboard audio in the bios, there was an option for front panel audio underneath but when you disable onboard audio it disables the front audio option too, could i not just leave the onboard audio enabled in the bios and as long as i have the right output settings in windows e.g. speakers for the x-fi and not onboard, it would work?

i've just got a feeling it could be something to do with the front panel audio option in the bios which is automatically disabled when onboard audio is.

hope you can understand what i mean.

let me know.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

What are front audio Panels and what do they do and why are you using them?

Are you feeding the output of the card into the front audio panel?

the green and pink connectors at the front of the case, line out and microphone connections.

and it's just easier than pulling computer out all time when i want to change it.

it's just a cable with connector like the blue usb ones, running from my sound card to port on the front of my pc.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

The BIOS switch is only for choosing analog (AC97) or digital (HD) from the motherboard to the front panel. If you have an additional audio card this should be disabled along with onboard audio. Re-enabling onboard audio will take your new X-Fi card out of the picture. I would reference the X-Fi documentation to make sure the front-panel connectors are properly placed. I will examine the X-Fi manual in a little while to see if I can help.

Tony

Users helping Users...

i can't see what i'm doing wrong, it's not exactly hard to setup, just a cable from card to front audio ports.

i've got another computer downstairs, might try it on that as a test, see if same happens. if it does, most likely dodgy card.

and id appreciate it if you could do that, its the PCIe and not PCI though.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back