Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thinking about getting linux 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetlew

Programmer
Dec 31, 2003
US
I'm thinking about getting a non MS operating system to explore. Could someone please give me a few details of what to get? I'm looking at Linux or Unix based.

What type of system requirement would I need. What is easier to use etc... Thanks

I recommend Knoppix. You can just drop it in your CD drive and it boots. If you don't like it, remove the CD and reboot. No harm has been done. Otherwise, you can install it on the hard disk or try other distributions. For beginners I recommend Suse. For the experienced, Debian.

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

Ok fellas, I finally got my act together and decided on DEBIAN, I have it installed successfully but have run into one problem. I set up/installed SAMBA successfully, at least all of the diagnostic programs says it runnuing successfully!!! The Debian machine shows up in my network neighborhood on XP ok, but when I click to map it, it asks for a user name and password. I'm confused as to exactly what it wants. I haven't edited my smb.conf file so any help (a quick step by step) on solving my problem would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back