Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thinking about getting linux 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetlew

Programmer
Dec 31, 2003
US
I'm thinking about getting a non MS operating system to explore. Could someone please give me a few details of what to get? I'm looking at Linux or Unix based.

What type of system requirement would I need. What is easier to use etc... Thanks

Go with SuSE 9.0 and kiss the blue screen of death goodby forever. Unfortunately, you can't D/L the hole thing for free anymore. But, you can still get it for a few bucks from eBay.
Happy bidding. :)

Mmm, someone just mentioned this thread over there-> thread619-831745.

The message is out!

Debian wins!

----
JBR

haha

no

i was trying to figure out which distro you preferred. it was a mere guess.

"Never underestimate the power of determination"

Stuart

ROFLMAO......I love this thread! I'm glad to see people so passionate about their Linux Distro!

As always, I come here to get expert opinions on all things IT. I'm a Linux Newbie myself and now that I have 2 spare machines to play with....hehehe I'm gonna tick off Bill and install Linux. [tongue]

My uber-geek friend has about 20 Linux distro's to play with (on DVD's [sadeyes] ).....including Slackware, Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, Monkey Linux (I even looked it up & there is such a thing) as well as a host of others. He recommended I start with Suse.

I've read this tread and some others about which disto to start with but I'm probably gonna go with the Suse. (Uber-geek's gonna be free tech spt..hehehe)

Who knows, maybe I'll learn a thing or two, and besides, it keeps Bill outta my purse. [wiggle]

"Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate!"

smittytech,

Good choice! I hope you like it.

See you guys, SuSE is the flavor of choice!

Hmm, there seems to be a broken keyboard somewhere. JustKIDn must have meant to say "Debian is the flavor of choice". You may want to gently smack your computer's tower a few times to get that bug shook loose and knock a little sense into it ;-)

Top 10 list of Linux distros
1. Debian
no others qualified ;-)

----
JBR

Hmmmmmm.....since I have 2 spare pc's.....[ponder]

Maybe I'll put Suse on one and Debian on the other....[wink]

"Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate!"

Ever considered a career as a diplomat?

smittytech,

You're begining to slip...

I suppose it would be out of order to mention FreeBSD? sweetlew's original question was for a non-MS operating system, so we may as well be open-minded...

:)

hmm

I tried FreeBSD, cant remember, but I don't think i ever got a successful install. being the non-linux peep yet, I couldn't figure out what went wrong.

"Never underestimate the power of determination"

Stuart
Net+

I'm gonna chime on this. Usually when threads get this long, people usually ignore them except for the first few and last few.

There are LOTS of distros out there to try, here's my breakdown.

-Newbie (Computers and Linux)
Try Knoppix and/or Mepis. CD based distros and won't install anything on your harddrive.

-User (Savvy with computers and don't know Linux)
Redhat, Mandrake, Suse. Why? Vendor support. Period. You buy Quake 3 or UT 2004, there's support for those distros. Company backing and 3rd pary support as well. There are exceptions but you're wrong is you expect Sun to support their java installer on Gentoo.

-Power User (Savvy with computers and Linux)
Slackware - Forces you to learn command line. Great distro to launch from boxed version distros to these 'Real' distros
Debian - by far the most rock solid distro. Knoppix is based on this version.
Gentoo - Prepare to spend a weekend installing this one. Once you do, you'll love it.

-Linux Guru
Start with a floppy and a NIC, the latest download from kernel.org and go for it.

Aite guys... I gotta add something to this:

I run a slackware webserver at work, guess what?
IT'S GREAT! I dust it more than I reboot it...(especially good for crusty old UNIX geeks, ahem...)

My best friend has a Mandrake workstation, guess what?
IT'S GREAT! (and all he knows is "DIR", if ya get my drift!)

I've got a Red Hat workstation, and guess what?
IT'S GREAT! (The damn thing just works, ya know?)

My other friend runs Debian, and guess what?
IT'S GREAT! (no clever side note, she just LOVES the freakin thing)

Bottom Line: If you change your own oil, fix your own leaky pipes, and somehow always find yourself browsing through OTHER peoples networks (OOPS! Did I do that???), than get you some Linux. Christ, if ya don't like the flavor that you got, change the source code and recompile... that's why it's there!

-BUT-

If you take your ride to Juffy-Lube, call the plumber, or can barely browse your own network(!), then better stick with that XP disk... you'll save yourself a fortune in aspirin.

deletion mistake
no I can't recover that
you didn't save it

-Shrubble

Nice summary! And a star for the haiku. That's good stuff! Well met, Bard of Ishrubble ;-)

----
JBR

..and you sir get a star for being the only person (out of god knows how many posts) to realize that that even is a Haiku!

Cheers

deletion mistake
no I can't recover that
you didn't save it

-Shrubble

I wonder if sweetlew took RhythmAce's advice and flew away?

Must... resist... urge to shout... DEBIAN!! ;-)

I'm kind of curious where you ended up sweetlew. Just thumbing back through the "My Threads" list, saw this one, and wondered what you finally went with?

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back