Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Things you say that just don't sound right... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while, and thoroughly enjoy the discussions on the English language (and others). I thought I'd chime in with one of my favorites.

My gaffe, in perfect English, was answering a question from my wife on her appearance before a night out...I replied "There's nothing you can do to make yourself look any better".

I meant well, and luckily she has a sense of humor. No way out of this one otherwise. Has anyone else heard themselves saying something that sounded like (or could be construed as) the complete opposite of their intent?

Tony

Users helping Users...

gbaughma said:
The question is now, was it CShell, Bourne-Shell, or BASH?

Actually, it's shell-lack </groan>

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony - that was great! A star for the laugh!

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

That something works doesn't make it right, though if something is right it had better work.

For me, the emotional work necessary to really release stress is actually hindered when instead I express it through vulgarity. My goal is to have such deep wells of emotional resources that stress is a very rare experience. And when stress does come, may my response to be something very different than anger or expressions of being helpless or overpowered by it all (at least, that is how I see it)!

I had to seek special help in the last six months because of losing my temper with my son (who is now almost two years old). The results have been what I can only call amazing, and the interesting part is that we didn't work on anger at all. What we worked on instead provided a new kind of depth and sense of having resources. I am still growing and learning and I still raise my voice at times (and wish I did not) but the way I've been able to be so much more kind and gentle even in the face of great provocation has been incredible.

What's that have to do with using vulgarity? For me it's the exact same loss of control as yelling at a child. It is triggered by stress but ultimately caused by a need for greater resources than possessed or accessible in that moment.

we need curse words, they are an essential tool in Automotive repair :)

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Esquared said:
It is triggered by stress but ultimately caused by a need for greater resources than possessed or accessible in that moment.

Very well put. I have found that when I overreact to a situation (usually involving profanity) I am ultimately more upset by my behavior than the offense that triggered it.

This is different than the vulgarity used among peers as a sort of indication of comfort level with that person. I also find humor in developing and using my own swear words or phrases, much to my wife's dismay, but it's in search of humor, not malevolence.

When my wife and I argue, we NEVER use profanity. We may think it, but never say it.

Tony

Users helping Users...

we need curse words, they are a stress reliever
There must a lot of stress in comedy clubs, movies, music, and and other entertainment these days.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I guess it's a hangover from my "deadline" college days"

Gosh wahnula, that's an awfully long hangover!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist! Welcome!

Regarding curse words, I like to think of the english language as a toolkit. Many of the tools are subtly shaped precision instruments, others are well-worn hand tools that get used every day, but the kit would not be complete without a lump hammer. You might not use it often, but sometimes nothing else is sufficient to do the job.

And if you don't like my analogy you can **** ***.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Hm.

Swearing can serve as comedy. I know of many situations that were made funnier by swearing, same as a dish might taste better if there was just the right bit of spice tipped into the mix.

Swearing can alleviate frustration such as when you pop a Jesus clip and it goes flinging its shiny little self out into the lawn. At's gone, you know it, nd betwen you and the Universe, you add a little profanity to valve that steam.

Swearing used against someone, such as the telling them what they know about killing vampires wouldn't fill the codpiece of an ant, now that can scotch a party right quick.

It all depends on the why. 8)

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

So where were all of you with your justifications for swearing/cursing/et cetera when I was young and just "testing the waters" with such talent. I must have spent...well, far too long grounded for doing what you all have so eloquently defended.[banghead]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I get the impression that we're a lot more sweary on this side of the Atlantic than they are in the Land of the Free. I suspect it has something to do with having persuaded so many of our puritans to sail off in that direction 400 years ago, leaving us to our cursing and drinking and other things disapproved of by the black-hats-with-a-buckle-on-the-front brigade.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Well, I've often heard swearing split into either blasphemy or the Anglo-Saxon variety, so maybe we're just maintaining our heritage?

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Yeah, us Yanks are too @#$%^#*^& politically correct to use any @#*&^%#$%^&^@# profanity (doesn't count if I'm just thinking it instead of actually saying it out loud, does it?).

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back