Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Things you say that just don't sound right... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while, and thoroughly enjoy the discussions on the English language (and others). I thought I'd chime in with one of my favorites.

My gaffe, in perfect English, was answering a question from my wife on her appearance before a night out...I replied "There's nothing you can do to make yourself look any better".

I meant well, and luckily she has a sense of humor. No way out of this one otherwise. Has anyone else heard themselves saying something that sounded like (or could be construed as) the complete opposite of their intent?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Gbaughma, great link. Wish they would have quoted the author. It's a George Carlin bit :)

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

It is the first of 7 words you can say on TV

-lw

That link highly reminds me of the little audio clip "The Versatility of the word *uck". Same type of thing where they go through all the different ways people use the word.
However, I shall not link to a clip of the audio. =)
Least not from here. o_O

~
Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Obviously it was just a typo, but for those unfamiliar with Carlin's bit, kskid meant to say "It is the first of 7 words you can[!]'t[/!] say on TV"

Opieo -
Location may be a part of it - I'm in NC. But, fortuitously enough, here's an example I just saw that uses the "stepped in..." example on National TV - bleeped, of course.
[tab]link from The Daily Show (Warning, satire that some may find offensive, as well as bleeped course language)

As for what makes it a "curse word" - I haven't the foggiest.

But, then, I personally don't find even the "big" curse words offensive. I respect that others do and so I try not to run around using them. But among friends, we sometimes let them fly.

And I can state empirically that use of cuss words doesn't imply a limited vocabulary. But, logically and obviously, refusing to use them does restrict one's vocabulary by the number of words they refuse to say.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Use of cuss words may not imply a limited vocabulary, but I bet there is a positive correlation between the two.

First off, I would just like to admit that I do not really watch TV. Sometimes I will see some shows if my friends have them on DVD.

I should rephrase my limited vocabulary statement to say:
I always figured anyone who used a word with such versatility for all of its meanings whenever possible has a limited vocabulary.

I tend to say precisely what is on my mind, so when I start using phrases with "bad" words, it almost doesn't matter who is around. So for me I try to avoid using them to begin with having a couple of friends who care quite a bit due to their religion. =\

I would still love to know where the association for a "curse word" came from to make it a bad word in the first place.
Somebody just randomly said, "We need to have words that people shouldn't say, because it will be fun!"

I love this sub-forum. ^_^

~

I rarely use any "bad" words but occasionally, my military background rears its ugly head unexpectedly and a cuss word best befits the situation. "Hecky Durn" just doesn't fit.

-lw

In the 19 years that I was within earshot of my dad (before he passed away), I never once heard an oath, curse word, profanity, et cetera come out of his mouth...not even after a gas (petrol) station attendant slammed my dad's fingers in the engine hood (bonnet) of the car (and it took several seconds for someone to trip the "Hood Release" inside the car to get his fingers loose.)

In fact, not once did I ever witness his losing his temper. He was a pretty strict father, and he would often have to get stern with us, but he still never lost his temper.

I wish my children could say the same things about me.[banghead]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

For me, the urge to say ugly words is a sign of being bested by a situation. I see extreme frustration as at least partly about emotional shallowness, not just about outside forces acting on me. I'm finding that the more emotional resources I have, the less I feel the need to say something strong or even to say anything at all. As each moment becomes a pleasure of existing, even great loss and great offense can eventually lose their ability to upset me.

My thoughts go like this: should I value words and vocabulary for themselves, or for the subtlety and expressiveness of meaning they offer? No, I don't think all expressions are equally valuable—an implicit assumption in the idea that not saying some words reduces vocabulary therefore it is inferior. You know, the fact that some people are offended by some phrases is enough for me to want to avoid those phrases (though perhaps this is not always possible): it's ultimately about meaning rather than word count.

I was an adult before I or either of my (older) siblings ever heard my father utter so much as a "damn". I'll try to do the same for my children when they come along.

I'm going to try to get some thoughts together and start a new thread in the next few days. I think this could be quite an interesting conversation, and I think this group will be capable of discussing the subject without it degrading into a thread that needs to be deleted.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Do you think it would be a discussion more appropriate for STC than MAI, since the topic isn't really about words or their usage but is more philosophical, psychological, or social?

I think it's a perfectly suited topic for MAI.
The words we use and how we use them often reflect our professionalism. This forum is for light-hearted discussions on words, word usage, grammar, and related topics to improve our ability to communicate effectively and to help project the right image.
What could be more appropriate than to discuss the impressions of using profanity?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I love it when you guys have discussions about topics like these. I feel as if I am learning from all of you since I have a feeling most of you have had more years of experience ( ;) ) with this than I have. (Does it really count as a back handed compliment, when it is really intended to be a compliment, but could be taken as being insulting?)

~

Considering how he looks, I wonder if Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful (To Me)" would qualify?

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

I guess it depends on who I'm with/what I'm doing.

I very rarely cuss at work... (the day job)... however, when I'm out doing a sound job, everybody is slinging curses left and right.

My dad always taught me to insult someone without swearing. Stuff like:

"I hope that when you get home, your mother runs out from under the front porch and bites you!"

<Snicker>

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Well, you folks have all certainly made an impression on me...as intelligent, sentient, and in possession of a sense of humor, that's probably the most important survival tool of all. I can't help but feel all these responses are a welcoming gesture and it's much appreciated...more than 50 responses to a first post! That certainly allays my fear of being the newcomer and getting viewed askance.

And the muses and wanderings give a thread a life of its own...obviously, in this forum there are no silly demands to "stay on topic" or condescending scoldings like "start a new post". From word play to Chuck Norris to curse words (there's a joke in there somewhere)...I wanted to say thanks and that I look forward to future fun, discourse & debate.

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula:

Glad we helped you come out of your shell.

The question is now, was it CShell, Bourne-Shell, or BASH?

Actually, there's not very much BASHing in this forum.

hehe

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

No - we need curse words, they are a stress reliever, even if only to be used in exceptional circumstances. They are a way to let off stress.

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back