Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Never Ending Story 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
These have always been fun... here's how it works.

I will start a story... and the next person can write another paragraph, continuing the story. The only rule is this; don't drastically change the premise of the story started. Nothing worse than "The dragon hunter quietly stalked his prey..." and someone else continuing with "Then the stormtroopers arrived...." Bleck. If you wish to start a different story, start it in a new thread.

*** Begin story ***

Matt Sloan thought he had heard and seen it all, until that fateful day when the blonde bombshell burst into his office. "You've got to help me," she said "You're my last hope. My father, the lead scientist for Robotics Design, Inc. has gone missing!"

The tears welled up in her eyes, and I knew just from the tone in her voice that this wouldn't be your "regular" case.....

**** continue... :)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Somewhere in a dusty lab, possibly in one of these universities, an old tape deck, forgotten by all, started churning data.

" ..... 13nf10csn1-- ica;kj1 !fmx. Robotics Design, Inc. has gone missing!"

Oh, did I say forgotten by all? Well, there -was- this overeager kid who went around and put every machine under some kind of automated log device*, so of course he noticed.
-sigh- Okay, fine, he would have noticed if he hadn't been staring at ...

-------------------
* : as soon as people realized, they started using the microwave and coffee machine a lot more. logs overflowed daily.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

... the new girl in accounts, her name was Jenny or Janey he had heard, a blonde bombshell, if he was any judge* ...

*He wasn't.

She had just finished freeing her hair in that voluptuous movement that you only ever see in movies -- which surprised him greatly, since this is a book.
Then, she turned around and noticed him. Sparks flew, and I won't make any jokes about the electrical engineer; she then said from a voice that could melt ice (hot lava does that), "Stop staring at me, you short freak!"
Right, he was short - and he didn't look much like a freak, but he -was- drooling, so that didn't help.
Going back to his desk, he noticed the log, which read that the tape backup was functional and functioning.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."

Robotics Design" he mused aloud, "Robotics Design", he warbled, "Robotics Design ... where did I see that before?" A soft draught was blowing down the back of his neck. Odd. He spun around, his glasses flying off in the process, to find Jenny or Janey breathing heavily at him. She looked at him with, what would you call that look? He was sure he had seen it in the movies ... ah yes, interest. "What did you say?" she hissed. He gulped, groped for his glasses, and squeaked ...

... when he realised it wasn't his pair of glasses that he was groping, it was Jenny's pair. She was about to slap the drooling freak hard when ...

[Cheers]

... it was TheManiac, resurfaced. She felt sorry for the poor confused geek, realizing that his life must be rather dull, what with all the hanging around Tek-Tips. She smiled as she handed him his glasses back, and decided not smack him. As he put his glasses on Janey (or Jenny) said...

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

... "Did you know that 'Robotics Design' is an anagram for 'bisect door sign'? It is also one for 'best groin disco' but that's not relevant." His jaw dropped and it dawned on him that he'd met another geek - only a pretty one. She smiled and coyly admitted, "Anagrams are a hobby of mine." She pointed to a small grey door in the corner of the room ...

Tony

.... and when they opened it, a deleted scene from "Galaxy Quest" entered his mind; never had he seen so many torture devices. She smiled at him and said.....

Just my 2¢

--Greg

"...this is where I keep my toys. Want to play?"

He wandered around, picked up a pair of handcuffs, a whip and a length of chain and said "So, you must be a cop?"

"No", she laughed.

"An escapologist maybe?", he said quizzically.
"Nope", she said with a smirk.
"Then why else would you have all this stuff", he asked.
"Well", she started, "it's because I...

... have had a few problems with my robots. For some reason, extract of Kangaroo brain leads to maniacal robots that need to be constantly re-charged. One of them escaped recently, so for my next experiment I don't want to take any chances." She snapped on a pair of latex gloves and pointed to an odd-looking chair in the middle of the floor. "Just sit down there, please", she said, "I need to ...

spend half my life feeling the need the dominate."

Stepping closer to TheManiac she continued "and the other half having to be restrained"

Reaching out she ..........

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

...pulled a cord dangling from the ceiling. With a clatter of metalwork, TheManiac felt the chair jolt and within a split second, clamps snapped shut around his wrists. He struggled for a few moments but he was well and truly pinned down.

"This will stop you posting on Tek-Tips", she said gleefully, "now I've got you captured I'm going to...

...OH NO Muhaa hahahahahah..." TheManiac said with an evil grin, a look of shear madness in his eyes that terrified even her. "You see, I have the power to...

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

... "end your existance with a single sentence! As I've done so many other times!" "But there's one thing you hadn't counted on", she replied, "And that's the fact that I....

Just my 2¢

--Greg

... Am the same Jenny Sparks as in the previous story!"
The protagonist (and/or TheManiac) started to seriously doubt the poor girl's mental health. As she approached with her rubber gloves, he could only stare in desperation at her...

thumbs.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Were you, um, was your mother in a book?" he squegged*, "It was something to do with cowgirls, only there was this um, girl in the book and she had the same, uh, thumbs, what I mean is, uh ... what, what's that?"

* What's an oscillator?

You rotten BASTARD!" she cried, "Making fun of a girl's disability! I happen to have a rare disease called Pollexitis! You have no idea what it's like! I can't type on a keyboard without hitting the N, H, and Y every time I try to hit the space bar! The only thing that has made it bearable is being a World Champion Thumb Wrestler!"

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Her dead stare sent a shiver down his spine.

From a tray to his right, she picked up a big, shiny metal object with a long hook at the end. It looked very sharp, indeed. He stared slack-jawed at her as she continued to slowly approach.

He was simultaneously terrified of the surgical implement and bewildered at how she held it with her huge thumbs.

He became lost in his internal dialogue: "It really seems like they would be useless. Not so much thumbs as much as broom handles extending from her hands. Forget typing, how does she sleep without rolling over and breaking one? I bet she had to have those latex gloves specially made to fit...."

He was snapped out of his reverie when he felt her hands (and her freakish thumbs) on his shoulders. She was now behind him.

He felt something slide down over his brow. He could no longer move his head.

Behind him, he heard something that sounded like a dentist's drill, but much larger....

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back