Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Never Ending Story 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
These have always been fun... here's how it works.

I will start a story... and the next person can write another paragraph, continuing the story. The only rule is this; don't drastically change the premise of the story started. Nothing worse than "The dragon hunter quietly stalked his prey..." and someone else continuing with "Then the stormtroopers arrived...." Bleck. If you wish to start a different story, start it in a new thread.

*** Begin story ***

Matt Sloan thought he had heard and seen it all, until that fateful day when the blonde bombshell burst into his office. "You've got to help me," she said "You're my last hope. My father, the lead scientist for Robotics Design, Inc. has gone missing!"

The tears welled up in her eyes, and I knew just from the tone in her voice that this wouldn't be your "regular" case.....

**** continue... :)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Matt opened it and saw a dog eared page. He started reading the page out loud "Wlcm to Unx Mnl Chptr eght" he muttered. "What the hell is this!". "In ths chptr you wil fnd infmtn on shel vrbls".

Jny lghd (sorry) Jenny laughed, it was the first time she had appeared relaxed. Further down on the page he saw some hand written notes. Matt squinted hard, the handwriting was difficult to make out but it seemed to read...

... "if you have to squint to read this, you need glasses."

"I see your father had a wry sense of humour", said Matt.

"Actually his humour was more influenced by Rye." Jenny muttered. Her eyes glazed over and she started to reminisce about the time ...

[Cheers]

they were pinned down by a group of starved and crazed kangroo's in Cloncurry.

She had suspected then that her father's meddling with their brain matter had something to do with it, when he suddenly switched to aardvarks.

Her mind was racing, as she came back to focus on the Unix Manual when suddenly...

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

... come to the section that described genetic splicing between a melon and a hampster, a section that included some disturbing photographs. Amongst them was one that showed ...

... two turnips, a chicken, four hamsters, a melon and a well-known politician all poised in the act of ...

...making a bird box to one of Norm Abram's designs.

Matt paused for a moment, "What exactly is a forstner bit?" he asked. Jenny replied "It's a flat bottomed drill bit with shallow offset cutting blades, it's used for drilling cylindral holes to a set depth with no tear out".

"My father used to have a set, but he lost them overboard while he was...

Serving in the Merchant Navy. He'd enlisted at 14 by lying about his age and sailed the high seas almost exclusively in engine rooms."

A distant look appeared in her eyes, as if remembering a happier time.

"This is where he discovered his love of robotics - always trying to automate procedures."she continued

"All went well until that fateful day in ........

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

December 2041, when the world was distroyed by 17 Middle eastern countries with multipul megaton thermo-nuclear war heads starting global warming, flooding the earth, and ending all human life.
The end.

Best Regards,
Scott

<smirk>

Just my 2¢

--Greg

- He saw the end of the world - she continied and her eyes started to glow and all of a sudden

... a sofa crashed to the ground, tearing the Unix manual from Matt's hand.
"That came from the third floor!" he said, dragging Jenny into a near-by doorway.
"Ooh oh!" said Jenny,
"<plink>" said the sofa.
"We're pinned down here" said Matt, scanning the windows across the street, "have you got a ...", he turned to see Jenny vanish through the now open door ...

To find the horrible black void, and the end of all existance.

The end. Again.

Best Regards,
Scott

Matt took a moment to refocus his thoughts. These day dreams were becoming odder and odder. Returning his attention to the woman who had just walked through his door, he stood up from his desk to offer her a...

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

...50% off of his services or BYGO free advice special that his office ran for a second year due to luck of business.

Well, this story *was* mildly interesting.

<Whaps TheManiac a couple of times for trying to kill it.... lol>

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Well, this story *was* mildly interesting

...said Jenny. Matt agreed, it was one of the most surreal cases he had ever dealt with.

"Who exactly is TheManiac", Matt asked.
"Oh, just some geek from Tek-Tips", muttered Jenny.
"Could there be some connection between TheManiac and your fathers disappearance?, Matt puzzled.
"Maybe", she said, "he's brought an end to this story so maybe my father once existed in another thread, and, and, got killed off", she started to whine tearfully.
"So there's no hope for me either, he's coming after me, goodbye cruel forum", she yelled.
"No, dont go, I'll call the moderator", said Matt hastily.

But shortly after she, logged out. Matt sighed, "Never did get those darned windows cleaned."

Epilogue

After a prolonged investigation, Jenny's father was later found dead inside a post in the Unix scripting forum. He had been kill -9'd, his life rm'd and rendered <null>. All of us were mv'd. Matt now runs an internet website in Casablanca, hoping that one day, she just might log back in. TheManiac was never found.

"TheManiac was never found." ... which means he may still be lurking close by, hiding in the shadows, waiting, watching, hoping, praying for another chance to strike again. He has tasted the blood of his first victim ... a vicious murder ... sucking the life from a young, innocent & unsuspecting thread.

No, I fear we have not seen or heard the last of TheManiac.
Be afraid .... be VERY afraid.

[cheers]

PS. I look forward to the next victim NES.

ROTFLMAO

Cheer guys, I'll pay that one.

Best Regards,
Scott

**high-fives** to all the writers.

So, anyone for starting "Never Ending Story (2)"?

:)

(You guys gotta admit... this was fun. And I didn't even get a star for the idea. :p)

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back