Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swearing that isn't 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
You know the situation; you've just driven a 4-inch nail through the web of skin between your thumb and forefinger, and hit yourself in the face with the clawhammer on the recoil! Your lovely Granny is watching and listening intently - how the Dickens do you express your pain and dismay at your own muttonheadedness!

I like to scream a selection of the following:

Flapping Bat!
Floating Boat!
You Sticking Ice-Hole

Any *BLEEP*ing others?

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

From Johnny Dangerously...

Fargin' Iceholes! Corksuckers!

Or as my five year old daughter would add- "What the meatball?!" It has become her catch-all phrase for surprise, shock, or exclamations.

Motherscratchers!

Nick

My favorite from M*A*S*H: Horse Hockey!

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

If I can catch the pain impulse before it reaches my dirty language center (not sure why there is such a close connection there) I usually mutter under my breath "rass'n frass'n rassle frassle." It's as close as I can come to the muttering of a cartoon dog (I think it was Muttley, of "Dastardly and Muttley". Every time he got annoyed he would mutter something under his breath. Never could tell what he was saying, but you just knew it was obscene.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

MeGustaXL said:
My Dad used to say 'Razzenfrazzen-snerfin-driffnz' or something like that, which he attributed to Daffy Duck.
I immediately thought of Muttley, not Daffy, must look out for that ...

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Of course, Tracy and Paul are both correct: 'Razzenfrazzen-snerfin-driffnz' was Muttley!

Blame my Dad for the horse-hockey about Daffy Duck [wink]

Chris

God knows as your Dognose - Bog Blast all of you! - Ozzy Osbourne

My grandmother used to use "Great Ceaser's Trousers!" I have NO idea where that comes from, but I always got a kick out of it.

You could also try "Goodness gracious me sakes alive and a basket of soap bubbles." I think that one comes from Nurse Jane Fuzzywuzzy the Muskrat Lady Housekeeper in the old Uncle Wiggley stories.

Tracy Dryden

Scooby Doo used to exclaim "Great Ceaser's Ghost!" when he got frightened. Maybe your grandmother was a fan of Scooby Doo.

In a similar vein, In Blackadder, Lt George (Hugh Laurie) would often ejaculate:

"Oh my sainted trousers!"

which still makes me crease up, even typing it here!

Chris

I doubt my grandmother ever heard of Scooby Doo. I first heard her use the expression back in the 1960's. I don't think he was around then and even if he was, she was too proper to watch cartoons.

Tracy Dryden

Great Caesar's Ghost" was from the original "Adventures of Superman" TV show of the 50's.

Once, I saw a "edited for television" version of Used Cars where one of the characters exclaimed, "Cheese and rice! Holy cheese and rice!"

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

Chris...it's funny to see you use the word "ejaculate." I'm guessing you're in England, since the use of that word in the US it not quite proper or clean. I don't doubt that you are using the word properly, it's just that the society here in the US has turned it into a dirty word.

Well spotted, rjoubert! I chose it specifically for those reasons, in the spirit of this topic. [thumbsup]

ejaculate vb. (tr.) to utter abruptly; blurt out.

Collins Concise English Dictionary

Q.E.F.D [wink]

Chris

It also has the meaning rjoubert refers to here in th UK, surely?

One of my favourite lines from 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em' following another disaster:

So it's come to this. Ejaculated from our fixed abode!

I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Alan Bennett.

flapeyre,
Regarding "Cheese and rice", A buddy I used to work with said that. When said with the correct inflection, it sounds quite a bit like you are taking the Lord's name in vein.

Like Tracy, whether I'd be able to catch myself in time to *not* expel an excess of expletives is highly questionable. But there are tons of options if I'm not going to cuss.

One that comes to mind right now is funky butt lovin'. I remember I got it from a movie where an adult says, "funky butt lovin'", and then a kid looks at a friend and says, "Did he just say 'funky butt lovin'?'. It took a bit of digging around online to find the source of the quote, but apparently it is Rookie of the Year. At least something good came of my seeing that movie.

rjoubert said:
Billy Crystal said:
You son of a motherless goat!
I'm thinking that came from Three Amigos and I think it was delivered by Steve Martin's character. Did Billy Crystal say it, too?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

You are correct sir! I did a quick search on Google for that movie quote, and it was Steve Martin, not Billy Crystal. For some reason, I was picturing Billy Crystal saying it.

I always thought it an excellent reflection on Richard Nixon that the most venomous thing he could think of to say even in times of high crisis seems to have been <expletive deleted>, at least according to the official transcripts.

Very commendable, I'm sure.

I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Alan Bennett.

I work with a woman who uses the phrase "holey buckets".

When I was a young one and in High School we would use "sunny beach" when there were adults present. Now there is a country song that made the phrase "some beach" popular for the same reasons.

John (AnotherHiggins) said:
...it sounds quite a bit like you are taking the Lord's name in vein.
Yes, in a vain attempt to become more spiritual, I have know people to sanctimoniously get an intravenous hook-up of Holy Water.

And now, back on topic: Here in Utah, "Heck is where people go that don't believe in Gosh."

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back