Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swearing that isn't 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
You know the situation; you've just driven a 4-inch nail through the web of skin between your thumb and forefinger, and hit yourself in the face with the clawhammer on the recoil! Your lovely Granny is watching and listening intently - how the Dickens do you express your pain and dismay at your own muttonheadedness!

I like to scream a selection of the following:

Flapping Bat!
Floating Boat!
You Sticking Ice-Hole

Any *BLEEP*ing others?

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Et vive Le Difference ![2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

[blue]Dave,

All "cheekiness" asside, yure response, er, cracked me up.

Tim[/blue]

[gray]is there a [red]sit[/red]uation here whiff you and ladyazh?[/gray]

[blue]_______________________________________________________
"As a former farmer, I try to grow the best formers around."
[/blue]

Ooferignernt! (Translation: "How rude!")[wink]

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Do not worry Dave,
men of course missed your signature that clearly stated you are a happily married man 'Dave of Sandy' - how romantic!

May I ask what language is 'Ooferignernt' came from?

It's Utahnics. We have an entire lexicon fer feriners such as yerself ifn ya' wannit.

[santa]Mufasa

I'm with Ladyazh (not in that way - I'm 'John of Misty').

I, too, have to ask: What is "Ooferignernt!" supposed to be? I can figger all the rest out, but I'm stuck on that one. I'm thinking the second half is "ignorant", but I don't know what word is being 'pronounced' oofer.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Ladyazh,

I beg your forgiveness if you thought my posts maligned you (or Dave, who, BTW, is from Sandy, Utah). I have a goofy unpredictable (even to me!) sense of humor that my stupid keyboard often fails to translate. Aitch Pee, indeed.

BTW - Welcome to Tek-Tips!

Tim

[blue]_______________________________________________________
"As a former farmer, I try to grow the best formers around."
[/blue]

Sorry to be so slow in getting back, but the trunkslammers are chewing up the DSL lines near my workplace.

I have no idea what "coño" means literally, I picked it up whilst working in New York City, where I worked with many folks from Spanish-, Arabic-, Russian-, and usw-speaking countries.

One fine day, a large metallic object came into abrupt contact with my head at a considerable velocity while I was in the process of adjusting some theatrical lighting instruments, and I let out a "CONE-yo!" into the open mike of the wireless headset(patched into the PA)I was wearing at the time, to the delight and amusement of several Hispanic colleagues in attendance.

jsaxe

Mundus Vult Decipi

usw-speaking

I assume the "usw" means "und so weiter"? That would be effectively the same as "etc-speaking". I've never seen either used before, but I like it.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

SantaMufasa, I am delighted to find out Pennsylvania is 'feriners' land. Gotta tell them:) (just kiddin')
Kudos to Sandy (keeping kiddin')

SilentAiche,
I really preffered to think Sandy is not a city in Utah...LOL Thanks anyway.

Ladyazh...Pennsylvania IS 'feriners' land...not to mention a bit backwards. I've passed through the town of Northeast, Pennsylvania quite a few times in my travels...guess where it's located? In the NorthWEST corner of the state!

tsdragon,

You are correct. German is my only foreign language.

jsaxe

Mundus Vult Decipi

On an international board like this, should it be my only 'non-native' language? I'm sure there's someone out there that would be quite confused at someone calling German a foreign language (especially if English isn't their native language ;p)

Cor said:
...you just have to make a half-arsed attempt.
...and if you make the attempt at 50% your normal velocity, then you are doing it "half-fast", right?

John said:
What is "Ooferignernt!" supposed to be?
In Utahnics, "Oofer" means "How very" from the English "Oh for...", while "ignernt" is, as you surmised, Utahnic for "rude", from the English "ignorant"; thus "Ooferignernt" = "How very rude".

Ladyazh said:
I really preffered to think Sandy is not a city in Utah
Although there are probably multiple "Sandys" of Utah that are either "mell" or "femell", when my signature says, "aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA", I have sensed, on occasion, that some people are not aware that "aka" is an initialisation for "also known as" and that "Sandy" is a place in Utah, and not my wife (Nancy) or my mother (Bette Loo). So, hopefully, this puts to rest a few questions or ambiguities, as well.

[santa]Mufasa

Also known as Dave of Sandy" as well as
"aka known as Dave of Sandy"
could have been a very romantic signature regardless...of anything!

I had a friend who was attending seminary school who would always say
Sugar, Honey, Ice Tea!!!!
when he hit himself with a hammer.

But that always reminds me of my nephew's behavior (back when he was 5 years old) - he hit his thumb with a hammer and let out with the full Anglo-Saxon M..... f..... - my Dad remarked
I see he's been hanging around with his other Grandfather, but at least he learned the proper context.
:)

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Greg, your nephew's behaviour reminds me of my raised-by-a-mule-skinner cousin, Zane. When he arrived home after his first day of First Grade, my Aunt Helen asked, "Zane, how did you like school."

6-year-old Zane nonchalantly replied, "Well, the '1's are okay...it's those damn '2's."

[santa]Mufasa

As this forum regards making impressions, which of the following do you find the most impressive?

a. Someone who doesn't polish a turd and uses the full fledged swear as intended.

b. Someone using the 'swear speak' (fudge, frick, fetch)

c. Someone using something totally out of context (jumpin jerky rabbit puddy)<-- actually one my father uses although he throws a real swear in place of puddy, rhymes with puddy in case you were wondering :)

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back