Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

boricua3205

Technical User
May 10, 2001
US
Ok here is a good one, whenever I try to restart my PC which has ME loaded it goes as far as the splash screen and then my PC shuts down.. no error messages or anything. I am able to startup fine in safe mode. I have ran msconfig and disabled everything I can think of there and I still have the same issue during normal startup. Has anyone ever encountered this issue?

Must be a driver problem. When Windows ME starts up it tries to load a driver or initialize a device in the pc. Have you recently update any hardware or software drivers? If so then remove this device from the pc and get new drivers for it. Internal modems can cause these problems often. If you have one remove it from the pc and boot again.
If you can boot all the way then you know it's the modem. Get the latest drivers for it and install it in a different PCI slot if you have one free.

Maybe I should have mentioned this before, nothing new has been installed or uninstalled on my PC. I also tried using system restore but now it says that I don't have any restore points when I know for a fact that it did have them.

Since when did the problems began? Have you tried what I wrote about the modem?

The problem began Sunday night, my wife went to use the PC and noticed that the monitor was black (off), I went to check it out and realized that the PC was powered off, when I restarted as soon as the ME splash screen came up it shut down again. No I haven't tried the modem yet since I just received your reply and I'm at work. I'll try that when I get home tonight.. Do you know of any other way to restore the OS to a previous point other than System Restore? Would it be safe to reinstall ME over top of the current install without losing any saved data?

It is pretty safe to re-install Windows ME. When doing this Windows will ask you if you want to make a backup so you can get back to the previous installation. Say yes to this and reinstall windows ME. Your data will not be lost.

The problem you describe can also be caused by your video card. Try to boot in safe mode and remove the video card from the device manager. Then reinstall the card using the "standard VGA display" driver that is listed in the drivers list under "Microsoft". When this is done reboot the pc and it should come out ok. Then download the latest drivers for your vga card and install them.

You're not going to believe this, I got home last night and I once again powered off my pc only this time I totally unplugged it. I let it sit for a couple minutes and then I booted it up to bootlog...it when straight into windows and the bootlog.txt showed that everything had loaded the way it was supposed to... go figure!!! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back