Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

startup / shutdown problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmeyers

Technical User
Jan 7, 2000
US
I'd been having trouble with my Win 98SE pc hanging on boot and not shutting donw. When it finally booted, I ran ASD, which showed a problem: <br>
<br>
&quot;Windows encountered a fatal problem while calling a PnP BIOS function. The specific function that caused this problem is: Read Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) The reference for this problem is: 42 00 00 00 58 01 50 01 F0 00 00 00.&quot;<br>
<br>
The Microsoft knoledgebase article on troubleshoting shutdoon problems has a section call NVRAM/ECSD, which says to &quot;Disable NVRAM/ESCD updates&quot; under PnP BIOS in Control Panel / System. So I did that.<br>
<br>
The machine booted without incident. But still hung on shutdonw.<br>
<br>
I don't know what's going on and would appreciate any information or background you could offer.<br>
<br>
thanks<br>
<br>
Jeff

Also look on Microsoft, there is a patch that you can download, which fixes the problem. I had a friend who had that problem, and sent him there, it worked for him....

Yup, as billtiv said, there is a downloadable patch from Micro$oft that fixes (or is suppose to) the shutdown problem. I think it is also available from the Windows update page.<br>
<br>
Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Also if the patch doesn't work try installing most if not all of the critical updates from Microsoft's update page.<br>
<br>
This page can be found by going to tools then Windows Update in the Internet Explorer browser <p>Chris DeLima<br><a href=mailto:chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com>chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

We have problems shutting down which the &quot;patch&quot;- Microsoft's Supplemental Shutdown-does not fix.<br>
Jeff, are you attached to a network?<br>
There is a shareware utility called ShutDown NOW! v3.72 that can be downloaded from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (to register, there is a $25.00 US charge per license) or run a shortcut using <br>
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows<br>
Both of these options have helped us with our shutdown problems (we're attached to a NetWare 4.11 network with the latest clients)<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back