Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplant

Technical User
Jan 15, 2000
NL
Hi,<br>
A problem has just appeared my Windows 98 wont start. I receive a message saying “The configuration specified in your Config.sys file is too large for memory, remove some drivers and then try again”. When I remove the Config.sys file completely (it didn’t have any drives listed anyway) the problem remains.<br>
By trial and error I have found that by removing the following file the system seems to run as before:<br>
DBLBUFF.SYS file size: 171,347,845 date: 12/01/59<br>
Yes 1959!<br>
Do I need this file and if so how do I fix the problem? Is this file corrupted as the weird date seems to suggest and if so how do I reinstall it?<br>
I have a Pentium II 450 with 128MB of memory.<br>
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.<br>
Mike.<br>

I would have to say that there is something seriously wrong with that file. It is possible that it could be infected with a virus. I would run a virus scanner and see what it comes up with. Also insure that that file is checked.<br>
<br>
<p>Chris DeLima<br><a href=mailto:chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com>chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back