Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start/desktop/programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
If I click on start of win98 then Programs I get a long list of programs instead sise by side win95 gave me. Is there a way to change this?

Yes.

I think you can do it through tweakui, but here is the way that I did it.

Backup all essential files before doing this though just in case something bad happens...

-------------

Click on the start menu and goto Run

Type "regedit" (no "" in any of this unless specified).

Go to the following key - "HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer"

Click on the "Advanced" folder.

Right click on and unoccupied area in the right hand pane and choose "New-String Value"

In the name box type "StartMenuScrollingPrograms", press enter.

Right click on the name you just created and click "Modifiy"

In the value data box, type "FALSE", then click OK.

Exit regedit.

-------------

Your programs list should now be in frames.

GrafSpee and I were replying at the same time. ;) He has it right if you want to do it manually. I looked and found that I had that reg file from that link I gave before. If you don't want to wait until Sunday to get the file that'll do it for you and you're hesitant about fooling around in the registry then copy and paste the following into Notepad and save it as StartMenu.reg or whatever name you want to give it but make sure it has the .reg extension. Then find the file and doubleclick on it and merge it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced]
"StartMenuScrollPrograms"="false"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back