Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP4 Final Available 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated to SP4 and 2 systems that I built resets whenever I use the printer or printer properties. I have 2 systems. System one is a ECS K7s5a (not pro), AMD Duron 1.2ghz with 512mb Ram. 2nd one is ECS k7s5a Pro, AMD Athlon XP 2ghz with 512mb Ram. Both of them had the same fate when I updated it. Anyone else having the same issues?

No, but I'm wondering if it's another one of those problems having to do with VIA drivers?

J.R.

Thanks for your post, MaxEd. I haven't installed SP4 yet and I also have a XP2400+/K7S5A Pro system. Right now it is rock solid, I don't want to hose it up.

Chances are it doesn't have anything to do with the VIA drivers. What kind of printer is it? Is it networked?

Cathy,

Spoolss.dll is the correct size and version. Check the version of WINSPOOL.DRV (which exports GetJobA) in the same directory. its version should be 5.0.2195.6659.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Ian,

The winspool.drv located in the system32 folder has the right version but the file sive is 111kb.

Thanks

Cathy

Cathy,

That is the right version. The problem now is that there are 20 or so DLL's in the chain between SpoolSS and WinSpool.drv.

I'd try reinstalling your printer with the latest Win2K drivers.

Failing that pull down the Network Install from the link in the first message. Uninstall SP4. Reboot and shut down all Anti-Virus and Firewall services and programs and try a SP4 re-install.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Rblue,

The printer was not a network printer. I use a Minolta 1100L laser printer that I had bought for like $75 after rebate 1.5 years ago. I have not had a chance to try to just run the update without the printer drivers installed. I doubt that it is the printer drivers that caused the reset but you can test it out. Just make sure you image your Hard Drive before you mess with it. I used Drive Image and it worked great because it allows you to reimage your C:\ even with Drive Image installed on the C:\. If your results differ from ine please post a reply. Thanks.

Policekauk,

Norton Ghost is an essential weapon in your arsenal (or your tottenham hotspur for that matter). Ghost can clone drives and partitions. Ghost will clone disk to disk, disk to partition and partition to disk. It will also clone drives and partitions to image files which may be on HDD or CD-R/RW. Make sure you use the best CD-Rs or CD-RWs.

[lipstick]

Ian,

I unistalled SP4, I Deleted all the printer Drivers, I re-installed Sp4, and guess what. I still get the same error once I reboot the system.

Well, I am going to keep plugging away to find the answer to this one. If anyone has any suggestions please post them.

Thanks

Cathy

Well call me crazy but I put SP4 on the DC and after 4 days no noticable problems yet. Also have several workstations running SP4 and ain't had a complaint yet. Hope I haven't jinxed myself and the whole thing is going to come crashing down!

SF18C
CCNA, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC

"Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!"

If anyone has a similar configuration as mine which is an ECS K7S5A with a AMD Duron or Athlong 2200+ processor.. please let me know what I am doing wrong that is causing the system to do a soft reset each time I click the print button? Thanks. I've tried a clean install and ended up with the same result. I have not tried it without first installing the printer drives but when I have the time I will make the attempt. First of all I'm going to try the SP4 on my old Celeron PII 400 (Packardbell)

-Laughter works miracles.

Cathy,

I may have found the answer to your SPOOLSS.dll problem. See this thread thread616-592219

Ian

Ian,

My workstation is a Win 2000 machine. It has been up and running for months now and it was a fresh load not an upgrade. I do print to 2 network printers a HP Laser Jet 4 and HP Color Laser 4550.

I looked in the registry and did not find that string. I did find the following:

Default Reg_sz (no set value)
Driver Reg_sz HPBMMON.DLL
EOJTIMEOUT REG_ DWORD 0x0000ea60(60000)

Maybe I need to move up the timeout to 12?

Thanks again.

Cathy

MaxEd,
I am having the same problem you are with SP4 and my Minolta Page/Pro 1100L Printer. I try to Print and both of my systems reboots. I have 2 workstations with the Printer shared. Both running Win2k Pro. I can't print right now.

One system is a Dell PII 300 and my other system is a P4 2.4 that I put together with an abit MB. I have the printer installed on the Dell, it's like my file/print server.

Have you found a solution to this problem we are having. I thought it was my Zone Alarm Firewall that was causing it, tried to print w/o Zone Alarm running and it still rebooted. Zone Alarm at least told me it was spoolsv.exe that caused it to reboot.

Anyones help is appreciated.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PlanetHigh,

You might want to try to disable the spool service from automatic to manual. See if that fixes your problem. I'm not sure but I've read that helped some people elsewhere. If you have a test box to try it on. Go for it.

Ed

PlanetHigh,

Are there any entries in the event view that may give us a clue as what's causing you machine to reboot.

You may also look at the messages between Cathy and myself in this thread and this one thread616-592219.

Ian

mapleleaf,

I have a Minolta 1100L printer. Do I just find the particular registry and remove it then install the SP4? I believe a few other people are having the same problems with their printers. Thanks.

MaxEd,

First off, BACKUP to something !!

Next, open regedit and look at

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

Highlight and Export as a "Win9X..." file.

Now, look at the monitors. You should see "Minolta" in one or more keys. Note the Driver names (should be ???.dll), find them in %systemroot%\System32 and note the version numbers, size and date.

Now look in "Add/Remove .." and uninstall any Minolta utilities. Delete your Printer(s). Reboot.

Look in %systemroot%\System32. If the DLL's from above are still there, rename them. Delete the "Minolta" keys from the registry.

Pull down the latest driver from here. NO PageScope utility !!. Install the driver, reboot and see if you can print.

Keep me posted

Ian

I guess the only thing missing on the "Bugs that are fixed" link is a list of bugs that were introduced!

[surprise]

lol

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back