Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP2 install created startup loop error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgreg99

Technical User
Nov 9, 2004
US
Just bought a used PC w/XP pro that had been "gutted", already got infected with spyware, so I ran spybot and adaware. Then I realized I had no SP2, so I downloaded it. Restarted machine 'for changes to take effect', and the machine gets stuck in startup loop.

First a SONY screen, then a breif DOS table screen, then the xp welcome screen with horizontal status bar, then the loop starts over.

Where do I start from here?

Try Safe Mode with the option to not Automatically Restart selected from the start screen options. See if you get a BSOD with the full error message.

Run ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

For other SP2 help try this site.

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

How can I stop the loop in order to get anywhere? It seems to be locked into this loop. I can't figure out to do ANYTHING but turn it off and on.

It sounds to me as though you may have been using a hacked version of XPpro. The reason I say that is because what is happening to you sounds exactly like what happened to me with my hacked version.

You can start by trying to boot in safe mode. When starting your computer hold down the F8 key. A DOS screen should appear giving you some options. Chose start in safe mode. You may then be able to do as linney said and use the recovery console from there.
But if it is the same thing that happened to me then that wont work. But definately worth it to try to fix it from there.

What I eventually did, and it may sound like a lot of work, but I had no choice other than to lose everything. And nothing anyone else came up with was succesful.
I re-loaded my windows98 onto the same partition. Which resulted in saving all my files and programs in 98.
But still wasnt able to load XP onto 98 because XP was already there.
Had to delete XP first from C: then reload it.(With a bought version)

Then install drivers, re-load certain programs that weren,t properly working etc etc. But it did work.

I know it doesnt sound like the best way to do it. But noone was able to come up with anything easier. Anything at all that worked for that matter.

Good Luck.

For all your virtual administrative needs visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back