Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP2 EMERGENCY BOOT. How? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat101

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
My system has 2 drives, with xpSP2's home drive being drive E:, the 2nd partition of the second drive. I didn't realize that the C: drive, which was a crashed leftover of an old install was actually being used for boot stuff, and I formatted (!) the C drive. Now, the thing won't boot.
The problem is that my original CD is pre-sp1 and booting it is useless.
So, how do I get an image that I can burn (on another machine)and then boot in order to fix the boot stuff.

Thank you much
-nat

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

Thank you much. My problem is that my other pc (which I am using to post this) is Linux, so I cant do the slipstream procedure because it requires Windows. Can't I dl an sp2 image from someplace? (The legality of my install is verified online anyhow, when updating. And I do have the original cd.)

Also, maybe since this is strictly a boot issue, maybe I dont have to worry about sp2 at all?

Thanks,
-nat

Is the cd from microsoft a bootable?

According to the site, this is a free cd, there must be an iso image available on the net! If you know where I can dl an iso, please advise.

Thank you much.
-nat

No iso image, and .exe

It is not a bootable CD.

For Service Packs there is not a bootable ISO image for download. There is an .EXE image, called the Network Full Installation, that is used for single workstation upgrades, as part of a SUS/WUS pushout, as a network share that can be accessed, or for use as a slipstream.

Do the slipstream. The following make sit easy:
thread779-900263

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back