Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sometimes you just have to smile... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wekkew

Programmer
Sep 28, 1998
GB
Hello

colleagues running win2kprof - asked to help with problem of shared folder with one user unable to see files from other user.

It turned out that user1 was in My Network Places | Computers near me and was puzzled at not being able to see the files on users2 machine, as "both computers are on the same desk - and you can't get much nearer than that!"

ahh....

Kate

Information osmosis, interesting. I'd suggest using a piece of string at that distance, unless of course they are touching! SOL
The best thing about banging your head against a wall is when you stop.

String doesn't have the bandwidth. You need to get some fittings and a "pipe".

(Of course, they may have just had the "TV" on the wrong channel.)
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

No, they have to be REALLY close, so they can initiate magnetic resonance!
Your user will know when they're close enough if s/he watches a compass for deflection.

the funniest thing like this that happened to me was about the mouse : "click the button" "what do you mean, click the button ?" "well, move the mouse to it and then press that button, see ?" and then the person actually put the mouse (not the cursor, the actual mouse) ON THE SCREEN (on the button) "see, i press and it's not working" ...

One of the best ones I saw was an e-mail asking whether it was better to store things on disk or disc. Obviously we replied that the best medium was the new disx system that had just come out. SOL
The best thing about banging your head against a wall is when you stop.

I worked with someone once who told me about people wondering why the "cup holder" wouldn't stay open! LOL BeckahC

A woman I know was working phone support at one of those national clearing houses for a major vendor. She got a call one day:

Caller: "Hi, I'm going on a trip and I need to know how much my laptop weighs."

Tech Support: "Okay, what brand and model is your laptop?"

Caller: [Gives brand and model]

Tech Support: [After pulling up the information, gives weight for laptop with battery.]

Caller: "Oh. Okay, but how much does it weigh with the hard drive full?"

She explained that it weighed the same, but I tried to convince her that she should call back and ask what sort of data he meant. After all, compressed data take up less space, but they're denser.... :)

Don

Once I went to help someone with a computer problem (I'm not helpdesk, but my friends call me over so they won't have to wait for them...) she couldn't understand why her monitor wasn't coming on.... she kept hitting the power button fo the monitor and the lght wouldn't come on... so I look at it and press the power button on the power center strip she's got under her monitor - the light came right on! ;-) She thanked me for my help, I had to run back to my desk before I started laughing right there! LOL BeckahC

I had a client who had purchased an infrared mouse and called because it wouldn't work. When I came over to check it out, he was pointing it at the monitor like you would a TV remote, and wondering why nothing happened. <headshake> :) *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Insanity is a matter of Perception. [yinyang]

Have a user in-house... top sales guy. He called me one day with looking for his email icon. I asked him what he saw on his desktop... his reply, &quot;Well, I've got a pen, my rolla-dex, my calender...&quot;

At that point, I took off my headset and let my head hit the desk. Oiy!!

TwistedAdmin

If the definition of insanity is to go on trying something the same way and failing but with the expectation that eventually it will work (to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin), then the place I work must be an asylum!

We've got a choice one... this actually happened a good 6 months ago, but we can't stop laughing about it:
We rolled out about 20 new PC systems 6 months ago, and as I was swapping a new system for an old one, the user looks at me and asks &quot;Do I have to get a new mouse? Isn't this mouse more... more... aerodynamic?&quot; She had one of the older logitech 3-button mice. I thought I'd heard her wrong, or something; I just looked at her... and she repeated it, &quot;I should keep this one, its more aerodynamic, isn't it?&quot;
I smiled and said, &quot;If you want to keep it, that's fine with me.&quot; And turned the other way before I laughed outright. When I went to switch the keyboard I discovered the keyboard and mouse cords were zip-stripped at about 1.5 inch intervals all the way to the box. i told her, if she wants to keep her mouse she'll have ot keep the keyboard because I couldn't cut the zip-strips without damaging one of the cords... and she responds with &quot;Oh, I'll keep both then, I'd rather have the more aerodynamic mouse.&quot;
Now, I'm guessing she meant ergonomic... but then again, she isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the marquee either.

--Angie [sunshine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back