Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So, What's your biggest weakness? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I have been interviewing for 6 months straight now. I have now determined I have to study-up on the question, "What is your biggest weakness?" from interviewers. I have an interview on Thursday that really has my interest. I have studied their comapany history and the product I will be installing and supporting. The job has my name all over it and I know for a fact that I have a 1 in 5 chance because I asked how many where scheduled for second interviews from the staffing agency. It is a direct-hire position.

I'm killing myself on this weakness question in every interview. So now I have Googled it, studied it, and for some reason no more wiser on what to say.

Research says:
Don't state a weakeness directly related to the position.
Don't make a joke.
Dont' try a make a strength into a weakness.
etc...

I will try and be honest, but what do you guys see as the correct path for preparedness?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

My greatest weakness is that I tend to get really involved in my work and spend extra hours working on projects without realizing it. :)

My weakness is reading tek-tips and getting some great answers.

My weakness is wanting to have the last word. (Cue childish responses).

My weakness is wanting to have the last word. (Cue childish responses).

Oh ya! We'll see about that. Uh huh! Oh ya!
So's yer old man!

[peace]

Great link Riverguy!! And it is from a reputable webiste as well.
It will be printed and studied by me as I continue interviewing.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

My weakness is Kryptonite.

OK, not really, it's actually silver bullets. But you didn't REALLY think that I would tell an interviewer my true weakness, did you? Then they'd know how to stop me.

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

kmcferrin said:
My weakness is Kryptonite.

OK, not really, it's actually silver bullets. But you didn't REALLY think that I would tell an interviewer my true weakness, did you? Then they'd know how to stop me.

[rofl]

(HA! Got the last word!)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

... if I didn't really want the job, I'd put on a very thoughtful, slightly-pained, and rather personal-intense face, and say that my weakness is that I don't manage to convey in interviews just how strong a candidate I actually am. Then I'd keep the face very straight and try not to giggle. But that's cos I've got the maturity of Dennis the Menace.

Whenever I've been asked this question in an interview, I've always answered it the same. Which is "one of my biggest weaknesses is knowing when to ask for help, I sometimes get so caught up in resolving an issue that I may not ask for help soon enough and there are times when I may have asked for help too soon." Then I clarify by saying with the advent of the Internet, answers to most problems are there and nobody wants to work with a coworker who doesnt want to find the answers themselves or a coworker who never tries to find the answers.

Also as far as asking those "canned" questions, I never have done that because it is my opinion that an HR type will know when you are asking questions just to be asking.

I generally ask questions about the group I'm going to be working in, number of people in the group and maybe the manager I'd be working for. I once had a placement firm tell me that I needed to target a certain type of company, ie the Fortune 500 because they are "better". I also state a few facts about the company when asking about the department or group I will be working in to let them know that I did my homework. Heck no job at any company is safe anymore, unless its AIG, just kidding. lol

My answer to that has always been I'd rather work at a "bad" company for a good manager with good people and minimal stress than to work at a "good" company work for a "butt hole" of a manager and work with people who I dont like with more stress. I know of quite a few people who work for "major" companies (GE/NYLife/GP/ etc) who hate going to work because they either have a "butt hole" of a manager or they work with someone that rubs them the wrong way or they have alot more stress or all of the above. And in this economy and even for the last 5-10 years, since after the dot com bust, employers know they pretty much have the pick of the litter.

So I've always gone into interviews being myself because alot of times within those first 15-20 minutes of you arriving for that interview, you've already been evaluated by the front desk, heck sometimes they check to see what you came to the interview in, clean car/dirty car/junker/nice car, of course how you dress and within a few minutes of your interview they've already made their decision.

So go be yourself, relax, make good eye contact and the rest will come thru.

So I've always gone into interviews being myself because alot of times within those first 15-20 minutes of you arriving for that interview, you've already been evaluated by the front desk, heck sometimes they check to see what you came to the interview in, clean car/dirty car/junker/nice car, of course how you dress and within a few minutes of your interview they've already made their decision.

Excellent points. I once rented a nice car so that I would make a good impression. Now, I make sure that my car is cleaned the day of the interview.

It is important to make a good impression on the person you see first. It's usually a desk clerk but they may have some pull. You are in sales. You are selling yourself. It's important to understand that and prepare appropriately. I always scope out the place first and see how people are dressed and their comportment. I try to match that or be just a tad better.

It's difficult to know what to wear to an interview when many of us no longer where a suit to work. About four years ago I was told to dress casually. I didn't get past the interview because they were all wearing ties. Casual meant something different to them than to me. I wore business slacks with a nice dress shirt and no tie. To them, casual meant to wear a tie but no jacket.

I have always answered that question with a joke about how my weakness is chocolate chip cookies so keep them away from me. It always seems to lighten the mood for my real answer plus I've received cookies on my first day at two jobs :) Maybe next time I should say my weakness is cake...

Stubnski

... if I didn't really want the job, I'd put on a very thoughtful, slightly-pained, and rather personal-intense face, and say that my weakness is that I don't manage to convey in interviews just how strong a candidate I actually am. Then I'd keep the face very straight and try not to giggle. But that's cos I've got the maturity of Dennis the Menace.
If I didn't want the job, my answer would be "Flatulence." I wouldn't explain or justify, I'd just let the word linger there like... something that lingers.

Stubnski - That's a great answer! Hava twinkly thing.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Stubnski: Funny, definitely funny.

Hey, Fee got the last word!

Oh... wait... scratch that. [rofl]

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back