Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We laid you off, but need your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspain

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'd just like to run this past some other IT professionals.

Let's say small Company A decides to lay off their only IT professional (lets consider a lone network or system administrator for example). Now Company A is having some issues and needs some help so they call the person they laid off hoping for some free help.

If you were in this position, would you help and how much would you help? Would you have a threshold for how much effort and time you would put in? Would you demand some type of compensation? If so, what do you think would be reasonable?

I find myself in a similar situation. Personally I don't have a problem helping if it is just a quick question that can be answered over the telephone or in a brief email. I understand its not a good idea to burn bridges.

But, I would think if it is something more involved and I spend an hour on the phone or is something that would actually need to be looked at in person, I think that would be pushing it.

What do you think? Been in a similar situation? What did you do?

@IRudebwoy - That's where I am too! Actually on the Westside of Albuquerque! We'll have to create a Tek-Tips in New Mexico group for the 2 of us! You're the first Tek-Tipper i've found in the area....are there others?

Leslie

@lespaul - Right On! I haven't noticed any others but from the Geography link at the bottom of the left hand side it looks like there are a few from New Mexico.

mattKnight,
you clearly don't work in the UK. I would have had to include the depreciation on the mallet, as well as mallet-maintenance costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back