Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you friend your co-workers on Facebook? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesward

MIS
Mar 20, 2009
US
I'm going to assume that most people here are on Facebook, so I figured I will get a lot of opinions. Since I see everyone's computer, I know that a lot of my co-workers are on Facebook. A lot of them have also friended each other. Fortunately, my name is common enough that I wouldn't be that easy to find.

I also think that friending my co-workers on Facebook would be a HUGE mistake. I have noticed that they have friended each other. I have 835 friends on Facebook, so I figure it's only a matter of time before I bump into one of my co-workers.

Work is work, and personal life is personal. I am very political on Facebook. I express my opinions on Facebook. I say things on Facebook that I would never say in the workplace. My company doesn't need to know anything about my life. I figure that anything I do on Facebook can and will be used against me.

What does everyone else think? Do you friend your co-workers on Facebook?

I've avoided FB, but more from lack of interest in that style of socializing rather than anything particularly employment-related. My wife maintains an account pretty much to stay in some sort of contact with her family on the other side of the US, and secondhand FB is plenty. LinkedIn is really much more suited to online friending of coworkers.

flapeyre said:
LinkedIn is to build professional relationships. They emphasize work relationships, job experience, and so on.

But can be used for anything, and really isn't any different than Facebook in that regard. The reasons that lead to the question is that all social media, including MMPORGs, is lumped into the same pot when it comes to the stories about finding out lascivious activities on these sites for lawsuit info or work termination causes (for example ). At least on first appearance it seems that Linkedin is indeed marketed differently. But the same purposes and results tend to occur on LinkedIn as in Facebook.

So I had to ask.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

is a decent commentary on the lawsuit with LinkedIn evidence as referenced in the first post. It definitely will make professional use of social media off-limits if plantiffs win.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

I have FB and are also friends with some of my co-workers. I however, are not friends with Managers that have FB.

It's a long thread, and, admittedly, i didn't read every post so there's some redundancy here, i'm sure (apologies).

My policy is this:

I will accept any Friend request, from anyone I work with or any vendor, on Linkedin. I "behave" on Linked in, like I behave at work- professionally.

Hook-ups in the workplace DO happen, and by all means, partners place is by u're side. I friend girls. I try to demarc this b/c, if u're using Fbook as intended, there are things on there u don't want people at work to see/read, period.

Ixix CC, SWE, LCNCS-C, LNCS-OF ,3CSA, 3CNTS, 3CSE, NNCAS, NNCDS, ENA, ENA-PS, ENS, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back