Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMGR Communication Profile Password Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpetilli

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
We currently have SMGR set to enforce criteria on the communication profile password. After much debate we want to remove the complexity. If I unflag the strength policy will that affect anything I have out there in the field? Currently, we are using 13 minimum with all the bells and whistles of caps/lower/numberic/. It would be bad if unflagging this would bust the endpoints already deployed.

Everyone has a lab environment.

Some people are lucky enough to have that lab environment be separate from production :p

I'd guess it would enforce at the level of SMGR committing to the database. Especially because they're hashed, I think it'd be a security risk if SMGR were even able to tell that there were passwords in the database that didn't meet the new rules. I'd think the new rules would only apply to newly set passwords.

Or, if they were all 4 digit and you bumped to 5, I can't imagine SMGR saying "you have 100 phones that don't meet this requirement, cannot continue" or SMGR making those accounts unusable.

I'd open a case and ask to CYA, but that's my $0.02

I wish everyone had a lab environment :p

I actually did this on SMGR 7.3 and just like Kyle said, it did not break existing user profiles, just enforced the requirements on new ones or resets. I have not don this on 8.x however.

It didn't break for me either. All good.. I'm on 8.x if anyone has this come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back