Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow startup / frozen taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigMan

Programmer
Apr 27, 2004
US
I'm running Windows XP SP2 Home edition.

I've been working on this problem on and off for several weeks:

The boot process works fine to a point. I get a fully functional desktop. However, the taskbar hangs for a minimum of 15 minutes. The Start button is not functional and neither is right click for taskbar properties. Most times I get the hourglass when I hover over the taskbar. Sometimes I retain the arrow cursor - but the taskbar still hangs up.

There is very little that I haven't done - sfc /scannnow, Windows repair installation, ashampoo startup tuner, ccleaner, dial-a-fix, BootLog XP, uninstalled unused programs, removed all but TCP/IP on network connections, uninstalled ? and x devices in device manager, etc. All of these solutions really improved my startup time and improved operating performance. In fact, there are nothing but info messages in my event viewer.

However, the 15-minute wait for the taskbar to come to life remains!

Any ideas from the heavy hittere?

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Have you looked in msconfig and start up in the registry?

Start run, msconfig

disabled programs that do not need to load on start up like adobe acrobat reader

start run regedit

local

software

microsft

windows

current version

run

Only delte things you are certain you don't need and backup/export the key first.

Also if a laptop disable bluetooth - i had the same problem as you and weirdly it was the bluetooth - probalby just bad drivers

Also bad hard drive can cause slow boots - do a disk check (right click C:\ prorperites, tools)

And if you've been unistalling programs a disk clean and derag wouldn't hurt

My startup tasks are limited to the bare minimum.

I've already done disk clean, defrag, and chkdsk.

This is a desktop machine. And much to my chagrin, a DELL.

I've updated all driver that are in use. Which I also stripped down to the bare minimum.

TaskBar Plus! does not address the problem I'm having. At least I did not see that it did.

Ewido did not find anything significant. Well, what it did find was not causing my problem.

I haven't tried booting in Safe Mode and booting in Normal Mode as a different user. I suppose that could enlighten me.

Last night I also tried stopping and restarting explorer.exe from the Task Manager. It did not help.

I have resisted the disk format / reinstall option because the problem does not ultimately affect performance. Only affects startup. And I could always keep the machine running 24/7. But I've spent so much time trying to fix the problem that I could have started from a freshly formatted disk drive three or four times already.

I wish I could charge my time to Dell and Microsoft. This is my wife's machine. So the functionality I need is pretty basic. Internet, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet. That's it!

If my company sold such a kluge-filled product, I'd be unemployed in about 6 months.

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Do try Safe Mode to eliminate third party drivers as a cause, and the other user in Normal Mode, in case it is a corrupt user profile problem.

Do you have any hanging Services, showing up in Services as "Automatic" but not actually as "Started"?

Have you any easily attached hardware, such as Scanners, USB or Printers, that could be temporarily removed to see if that makes a difference?

Are you fully updated with Windows, otherwise something like this may apply?

The Windows XP Taskbar May Stop Responding for Some Time

I haven't tried anything from the last two replies yet. But I plan to do so tonight. I'll let you know of my results. Thanks!

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Sorry it has taken me so long to close the loop. I finally found the magical combination of services to disable and programs to remove from startup. My initial problem has been solved.

NOW my only delay is networking. Takes about 5 minutes (or more) to get connectivity (lan icon in system tray).

Any ideas as to how to solve this one?

It's a straight cat5 connection. I've got a broadcom gigabit NIC.

Is this hardware or software?

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Try Safe Mode With Networking, is there a delay there?

Any Errors in the Event Viewer?

Are you fully up to date with patches, drivers, updates, etc?

Speed up Network Browsing
Thread96-664508

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Please help - no one seems to know
thread779-494796

I finally got back to troubleshooting this problem. There is nothing in the event viewer.

I tried booting in safe mode and DO NOT have a problem. I can open a web page immediately. Then when I boot normally, it hangs for about 5 minutes. Then I can open a web page.

Would this imply that I need to update my NIC driver?

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Have you tried a different Web browser??

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

If you're using I.E.7, goto Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs tab, then click Manage Add-ons. Might be a rogue one in there that will solve all if disabled...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Have you tried the standard Winsock fix by typing

Netsh Winsock Reset

at an Elevated (Admin) Command Prompt?

Restart when your receive a message that a restart is required.

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect."

Norton antivirus can also create mayhem at startup when it goes bad . . . it sometimes takes it upon itself to hammer the processor and hard disk for hours at a time, using 95% of the processor. When it happens at startup, it's a pain. Normally only a reinstall fixes it.

Ref the network connection, this might not even make sense, but I had some very slow connectivity problems a while back, which I tracked down to having a couple of drives mapped to non-existent shares (eg drive G: mapped to the cdrive of a server that had been taken off of the network). Once I deleted them, the PC was much happier and quicker at browsing the network.

I'll give your suggestions a shot when I have a chance. Thanks for all the replies.

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Hi

Read through these with interest as I have been having the same problem, at boot it just sits for about 3 minutes at one point and I can't figure out what is loading.

I haven’t added anything that’s new so it’s probably something that isn’t necessary.

I'll try some to the things listed here.

Mike

Like MikeThorne I have a similar problem ie

at boot my Dell pc sits for what seems 3 mins,
& also at shutdown time seems to sit for a while.

I've been putting it down as spyware as a result
of holes or back doors (that i have opened )
in my firewall ( Kerio -2.1 etc ).

I'm preparing a query for the dsl reports forum - security
on kerio rules etc.

sfc /scannow seems to fix it temporarily but then the prob
re-appears one or a few boots later.

It sounds like the event log might be a place to start.

Any particular item or whatever we should look for?

Ian C

Eventually my wife and I solved this problem. We started uninstalling programs. After our 3rd pass thru "add/remove programs" - no more slow startup. I can't say specifically which program was the culprit. But it would be worth cleaning out old programs to see if you get similar results.

Craig Meyers, BSNucE, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back