Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP trunk, DTMF not working on digital stations only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc3957

ISP
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi everyone,

This is an issue that's got me stumped. I have an IP Office 500v2 running 9.1.7. It's got a single combo card ATMv2. I've got 6 of the 9508 digital telsets and 6 of the 9608 H323 telsets. My service is a SIP trunk and it works fine for both incoming and outgoing calls. Call quality is great, I can even receive faxes of G711. Anyways, when I call one of those automated phone systems from my 9508s (any of them) the DTMF tones are not understood by the automated systems. Sometimes if I push them repeatedly it gets one or two, but accuracy becomes very hard then as I don't know which press went through. Oddly, if I call from one of my 9608s it works perfectly. Even the lightest, shortest press of a button and the automated systems understand the tone perfectly.

I've already verified that I'm using RFC2833.

Thanks,
Phil

There was an issue with DTMF on digital phones.

Does DTMF work internally?

I'm not really sure how to test it internally. I call another station and press the buttons and I do hear tones on the other phone.

However when I call an outside number it doesn't seem to work. I called an echo test number and I heard the tone echo for about every third press.

Tones do work perfectly with the H323 and analog stations, just not the digital ones (although I've only tried 9508s).

In an effort to fix this I did upgrade last night to the latest version of 9.1 which is 9.1.12(212). However still no change with my DTMF issue.

Has anyone seen a possible solution to this?

Who is the SIP provider? Often times providers have white papers explaining the exact settings they need to work correctly. Its feasible there is a setting on the SIP line causing the issue since it seems to only happen over the SIP line.

To test internally try calling (or making an AA and then calling) an internal auto attendant and see if the DTMF works correctly. You can create a shortcode to go directly to the AA for testing.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I agree with Derfloh, many SIP providers often are not well documented. Although I guess that's the reason you're supposed to use the ones that go through Avaya Interop testing.

Critchey, do you think it's the provider even though DTMF works through the same provider (I only have 1 SIP trunk provider as the entire phone service to this IP Office) when using the H323 phones (Avaya 9608s) and when using a test set plugged in to one of the analog station ports on my combo card? I definitely don't know enough about IP Office, but it seems like if DTMF works when the phone is H323 or analog, but not with the digital stations, then it must be something with the digital stations as all three phones use the same SIP trunk for calling.

Anyways, I will try with a different provider as a test, then wade in to their support to see what's going on.

Thanks,
Phil

Did you try creating a short code and dialing it internally to test without the SIP trunks? If it works internally it points toward the SIP trunks and if it doesn't work it points toward the phone system.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back