Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Question (Startup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressedTechie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
Very simple question but cant find a remedy.

I have a machine that when strating up presents the following screen

Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Professional

and perfroms a countdown from 25. I can make a selection. I want to clear this so only one selction is made visible and reduce the countdown. I thought this would be present in a Boot.ini file but the machine in question does not have one. Any ideas!

Thanks

Hi,
I'm not sitting in front of a win2k box right now but I think this is relate to the "choosing an operating system" you get from right clicking the "my computer" icon.

It's buried on a tab somewhere but you can do a couple of things like change the countdown time or just tell it to boot without choosing...
I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I can't remember exactly where it's found..

bob

I am on a win2k mach. As said right click my computer. Select properties, advanced, startup and recovery. You should see a section says display a list of OS for x amount of time change it to the desired amount.

Thanks guys, I never knew that existed in the properties of My Computer.

Thanks I can start sticking my hair back in now.

Cheers

This will only let you change the selection and login delay though.
The "usable systems" are stored in c:\boot.ini.
If you are getting 2 identical lines saying "Windows 2000 Professional", and you wish to get rid of one of them, you can delete it directly from this file.
<< JOC >>

StressedTechie

and the boot.ini is usually hidden system file - which may be why you think there isn't one.

LOL - kinda forget little things like that as I never hide system files, and obviously don't read the problem carefully enough 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back