Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut bar by Start button 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpledawn

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
US
Hi everyone.

I recently formatted my computer. After reinstalling NT, I no longer had the shortcut toolbar that used to be right next to the Start button. (Sorry I don't know the NT name for it.)

Does anyone know how to get this back?

I think you're referring to the "Quick Launch" menu. You may need to be at a particular level of IE to get it, but if you're there, you can just right-click the task bar and select the "Toolbars" item on the subsequent popup menu. Then select "Quick Launch" from there.

Thanks Rick.

I think that the Quick Launch Toolbar is what I'm looking for. However, I don't see a toolbar option on the pop up list when I right click on the taskbar. I don't see anything in the toolbar properties either.

Is there anywhere where you can to enable toolbars? I'm just shooting in the dark here.

PD

Rick is right - this is part of Active Desktop and not installed by default in NT 4.0 like it is in Win2K. Install a recent copy of IE 5 to get it back. Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Slight correction to above...if you have already upgraded an IE version later than 4.0, you will need to UNINSTALL the later version (carefully), as this feature isn't included on IE 5x. When done and after a reboot, reinstall IE 4.0 (with or without SP2) and the wizard will prompt you asking whether or not you would like to install the "Active Desktop" feature. This is the feature that, among other things, installs the Quick Launch toolbar. Another alternative...upgrade to W2K!

Hope this helps...
___
sjv

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

After following Heath's suggestion I haven't gotten the Active Desktop feature to work yet. I uninstalled IE 5.x, leaving me with 4.0, which NT wouldn't let me uninstall using Add/Remove Programs. I left it and installed the 5.5 download (which installed completely over 4.0 without needing to ask for a path).

From what SJV is saying, I understand that I have to uninstall 4.0 manually, reinstall it and select Active Desktop during the reinstall, and then upgrade to 5.5.

If this is right, where is 4.0 still available? I haven't been able to find any active download sites!

PD

What I actually said was you need uninstall versions LATER than 4.0. If you currently have 4.0, then you can either re-run setup from the CD or you can go to and go to product updates and add on the Active Desktop component. Let us know how you make out...
___
sjv

Well that did it. I ran IE4 setup and chose the Active Desktop option.

Thanks to everyone, especially SJV.

Cheers.

PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back