Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server naming schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
I was just wondering if anyone else uses any unique server/workstation naming schemes instead of the old bland "Mail_server_1" "SQL_Server_4", etc...

Personally all my primary servers are named after Star Wars Planets (i.e. Coruscant, Hoth, Tatooine). Secondary servers are named after Star Wars Moons (I.e. endor, Yavin 1, Lok). I used to name the workstations after characters in the movies (Han_Solo, Luke_Skywalker, etc...) but my users started requesting certain names so I had to put the kibosh to that.

Anyone else?

-Al

I did a reverse DNS lookup on an IP address that showed up in our web server logs. Turns out it came from unicron.btitelecom.net. The DNS server that resolved this was jetfire.btitelecom.net. Can anyone immediately see the naming scheme they're using? For a hint go to I wonder what their other machines are called.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

> unicron

Oh dear.

Andy
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux
"A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do." -- Greer's Third Law

Hi!

I work for an educational institute in the UK and we use the names of British authors for our servers, a bit boring you might think....

Our PDC for the student network is Trollope which everyone thinks it fairly amusing.

We have staff servers called Bunyan & Anger.

Our own file server is called Gay!

All after british writers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back